Help! My new house is falling apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

briwill

I just bought a house about 6 weeks ago as a "For sale by owner" Since then I have had to rip-up and replace all the downstairs floors due to pet damage under the carpet ($5700) Now the roof is leaking, the pipes are giving out and the foundation is crumbling. Do I have any legal rights to go after the seller to pay for some of the repairs? She claimed that there was nothing wrong with the house and my home inspector didn't point out these things either.

Your remedy here would be to pursue claims against your home inspector for not uncovering damages that should have been revealed in the course of a prudent inspection. With regard to pet damage under the carpet, it is possible that the owner didn't know of the problems. It did get past your home inspector.

After closing, the home is yours with all its problems. I don't think that any protections afforded by law would apply here regarding the damages which you are complaining about. The remedies are against your inspectors as well as insurance.

Originally posted by briwill
I just bought a house about 6 weeks ago as a "For sale by owner" Since then I have had to rip-up and replace all the downstairs floors due to pet damage under the carpet ($5700) Now the roof is leaking, the pipes are giving out and the foundation is crumbling. Do I have any legal rights to go after the seller to pay for some of the repairs? She claimed that there was nothing wrong with the house and my home inspector didn't point out these things either.

I ran across a case similuar, kinda, to this one.

A m8 purchased a home, appraised at X dollars. Upon moving in, since this was a bank financed appraisal, he filed suit to the bank, because of problems not addressed by the appraiser. He claimed they owed him money, in the amount of whatever repairs he found the property needed.

I'd go over the closing contract on that home, and read ALL fine print. There are many things in that small print... :)

I agree the only case possible, would be against the home inspector, is that county/state organization??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back