Help me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxie_R

Hi. I am really concerned because an ex-boyfriend of mine has suddenly turned up after 6 years and has begun to demand money from me. He gave me quite a lot of money for school when we were together with no mention of me having to pay him back, he said it was a gift. I don't think I signed anything either but it was a long time ago and maybe I did and can't remember. He was very abusive and I know he would stop at nothing to hurt me again. Can he sue me for the money? There are checks that prove he gave it to me but no one was there when it happened. What should I do? I am so scared because I don't have the money and I am afraid of him.
Thank you!

6 years ago? While many times larger sums of money may be considered a loan, the evidence seems to point to a very generous gift. There were no loan documents of any kind (even informal), no time to pay back, and a long time passing until this issue was raised. It appears to me that you don't owe him anything and if you're scared of him and he has hurt you before, you should call the police. If he abused you before and is demanding money, do not hesitate to call the police if he threatens you in any fashion. I would not invite him over, even to be "polite" since there is no manner you can do so.

He can sue you for the money but I'd highly doubt he would win, based upon the information you are telling me. Good luck and stay safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back