Help Me Please

Help4Me

Jurisdiction
Virginia
I was hired full time at a well established retail store. I was told my work hours would be between 8am-8pm. I informed them because of my religious beliefs I would not be able to work on Sunday's and needed to be off by 5pm on Tuesday's.

I have been working now for a little over a month. Now a new supervisor has come and informed me that because I don't have an "open schedule" I may not be placed on schedule.

I informed her what I was hired as and under what was understood as my work days and hours because of my religion ND she told me it doesn't matter. If I needed to be off by 5pm on Tuesday's I would need to take off those days and regarding Sunday's they are a "weekend" store. This store is open 7 days a week from 6am-12am.

Policy states they will not discriminate against religion and since I worship on Tuesday evening's and Sunday's is this a violation since I was hired with this understanding?

Also I lost an entire week of pay already because she told me she didn't have time to set a schedule for those without an "open schedule". I notice she has not scheduled me for the upcoming weeks as of yet.

Can you give me some insight of what I can do if anything?

Thanks

Not much you can do.
If you can't work the required hours, you better find yourself another job.

An employer doesn't violate your religious freedom by requiring you to work certain hours or days.

Agreed.
An employee meets the needs of the employee, not the other way around. They have no obligation to schedule you for any hours.
While it might be mean-spirited, it is not anything illegal.

I have to disagree with the above. How many employees are there? Do you need the entire day off Sunday and is Tuesday night required for your religion or just a preference to attend an activity at church?

Back