Help! I paid for car but the title is in someone else's name

dimilane

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
I am in a difficult situation with the ownership of a vehicle. Due to some difficult circumstances, I was unable to get credit to finance a vehicle, so my boyfriend signed a loan for a car 3 years ago. The car is in his name, and put it under his insurance. I have made ALL the payments and paid it off with my tax refund last year. The relationship has gone very bad, to the point he has become physical and I need to leave. He said if I leave, he will report the car stolen. Before this, he told me several times he would sign car over to me because he wanted me to get insurance in my name. A side note, he has not worked in over 2 years and I have also paid for the insurance for both our vehicles.

At this point, I do not believe he will ever sign the car over to me. What can I do to gain legal ownership of the vehicle without his consent?

You cannot. Legally the car is his. If you don't believe he will ever sign I over to you, then walk away from it with a hard lesson learned. You bought him a car.

If the car is in his name/his name is on the title, there really isn't anything you can do to make him give you the car. It's his. Sorry.

Back