Criminal Law HELP--Felony, misdemeanor CMTs and Green Card Renewal

Status
Not open for further replies.

genuwine4532

Hello,
I am a permananet resident since 1975 from the former USSR. I came here at 9 years old with the old "no expiration" green card.
Since then I have had misdeamenors arrests and convictions which I believe are CMT's. The offenses are as follows:
1. Misdemeanor Lying to a Police Officer--California 1986--juvenile offense I was 17 cant recall the outcome, just a fine, no jail
2. Misdemeanor Shoplifting--California--year 2000, plead no contest, with 2 years probation, now completed.
3. Misdemeanor Solicitation---California--year 2007, plead no contest, community service, fine and 2 years probation (probation current and satisfactory)
4. Misdemeanor Solicitation ----California ---year 2007 this time with probation violation for second offense while on probation, plead no contest, 5 days in jail for second offense and 30 days for the probation violation, (probation current and satisfactory)
5. Felony arrest for simple drug possession--California---year 2005, plead no contest got diversion and 2 years probation, but I have not completed this yet and have an outstanding warrant, but I was told that I can return and still complete the diversion since I have never had a prior drug case or diversion.

I also had an arrest for murder but that was mistaken identity and I was released 8 hours after they realized their mistake, I was in a car that was exactly like one used in a drive by shooting in my neighborhood and this happened like 20 years ago also in California.

I applied for the 1-90 to get a replacement green card just two months ago November 2007 not realizing that they will ask for my arrest record, I did not go to the appointment and cancelled the application with Immigration.

I am very worried, I know that my record is screwed and I will probably be denied now I am not sure how to proceed, I am sure I need to handle the drug case first and clear the warrant and then maybe reapply when all the probation is over a couple of years from now. I have lived here since childhood, have no family in Russia, but have two children here, 17 and 18 years old, as well as my entire family living here.

My question is is my case totally hopeless to where I will face deportation?

Can they deport me back to a country of birth that no longer exists USSR, now Russia?

Can they deport me back to a country from which I came to escape persecution as a Jew living in a communist country, because it would be very dangerous for me to go back there with Russia knowing that I left to America seeking asylum, is this something Immigration will take into consideration?

PLEASE ADVISE--
Thank you:(

your case is so serious... you should talk to a immigration lawyer ASAP.
as i see, they may deport for so many crimes that you were convicted... a lawyer might find some way to help you.

If you travel out of the US, you can be arrested upon return and put for deportation hearings.............You have to talk to a local immigration lawyer ASAP. You have lived here for so long that you could qualify for some exceptional waivers and later citizenship. Don't wait and act now.

Thank you

Thank you for the reply, I will do that, I was just reading the DHS immigration laws on their website and there are suspension/cancellation of deportation clauses for citizens of the former USSR, apparently because the country no longer exists.
Thank you again

Thank you for the reply, I will do that, I was just reading the DHS immigration laws on their website and there are suspension/cancellation of deportation clauses for citizens of the former USSR, apparently because the country no longer exists.
Thank you again

Anytime.........let us know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back