Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Help End Crime Spree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brenda_Abanavas

Live in MA, don't know what to do/who to talk to. In the city of Revere, there is a quiet ordinance of 11 p.m. Mon.-Sat., and 9 p.m. on Sundays. I live in a 6 apt. bldg. 5 of these units are occupied by working professionals. On May 15 the neighbor from hell moved in. Starting on day-1 of her occupancy, we have lived with all-night parties, the smoke and smell of illegal substances, loud conversations about procurring cocaine, loud music at all hours. Last weekend, the party started at 1:30 a.m. on Friday, and concluded at 2:00 p.m. on Sunday. The landlord issued a 14 day notice to quit for non-payment of rent when June rent was missed. Tenant paid the rent and the notice to quit was void. Tenant did not pay August rent and received a summons to appear for an eviction hearing on Sept. 2. Since May, I have called the police 11 times at times ranging from 11:30, to 5:30 a.m. Each time, officers have come, warned tenant to turn music down or off and threatened to arrest her for disturbing the peace if they come back. She turns it down just low enough that a case can be made for protecting her quiet enjoyment, but loud enough to continue to come through the floors and disturb sleep. On top of all of this, she has adopted the first name of one tenant, a fake last name, and my apartment number and begun to order all kinds of merchandise from outside of Massachusetts. When the boxes arrive, she simply removes the contents and discards the boxes (including the billing invoice). When I discovered that my apartment number was included in the order, I contacted the companies and informed them that the person listed in their database does not live in my apartment and did not order the merchandise. Yesterday, when I emptied the trash, I found copies of correspondence this tenant had thrown out. One of which was a letter from Nordstroms Department Store, returning a check this tenant had submitted for merchandise, and declining to honor the order. I contacted the bank listed on the check and learned that (1) the bank branch "typed" on the check does not exist. However, the routing number and checking account number is an actual account at this bank - just not belonging to the person who's name and our address was also "typed" on the check. When I contacted the U.S. Postal Inspector's office to inquire about an investigation into identity theft, I was told that this tenant could very well be using parts of other tenant's identity but unless or until we discover that we have incurred some financial loss, there is nothing the inspector will do! I have seen correspondence from this tenant written to a local court. Further checking revealed that the person she has been contacting since May, is in fact a probation officer. One of our neighbors dates a police officer who ran a check on plates of some of the tenant's visitors, and learned that several of them are known to local authorities in connection with drug sales and assaultive behavior. It would appear that my choices are to move (which I don't have the resources to do at the moment), or for her to be gone, and there doesn't seem to be anyone to help make that happen. The woman does not work (I work from home occassionally) and the unpredictablity of her partying ways has caused me to be on medication for my nerves, for sleep, and for creating stress that aggravates my ulcer. I am terrified at the prospect that she will walk into court in September, bat her eyes at the judge and plead for more time to look for a place to live (which she won't do - and even now has made no effort to begin packing but is partying even more since her summons). I'm open for any help, suggestions, recommendations, or shared similar experiences that may provide some relief or answers to this situation. I apologize for the length, but this is an abbreviated version of what all of the other tenants and I have been living with since May, 2004. Any and all help is appreciated.

Last edited:
If this woman has a probation officer, have efforts been made to contact him/her?

Brenda Abanavas said:
Live in MA, don't know what to do/who to talk to. In the city of Revere, there is a quiet ordinance of 11 p.m. Mon.-Sat., and 9 p.m. on Sundays. I live in a 6 apt. bldg. 5 of these units are occupied by working professionals. On May 15 the neighbor from hell moved in. Starting on day-1 of her occupancy, we have lived with all-night parties, the smoke and smell of illegal substances, loud conversations about procurring cocaine, loud music at all hours. Last weekend, the party started at 1:30 a.m. on Friday, and concluded at 2:00 p.m. on Sunday. The landlord issued a 14 day notice to quit for non-payment of rent when June rent was missed. Tenant paid the rent and the notice to quit was void. Tenant did not pay August rent and received a summons to appear for an eviction hearing on Sept. 2. Since May, I have called the police 11 times at times ranging from 11:30, to 5:30 a.m. Each time, officers have come, warned tenant to turn music down or off and threatened to arrest her for disturbing the peace if they come back. She turns it down just low enough that a case can be made for protecting her quiet enjoyment, but loud enough to continue to come through the floors and disturb sleep. On top of all of this, she has adopted the first name of one tenant, a fake last name, and my apartment number and begun to order all kinds of merchandise from outside of Massachusetts. When the boxes arrive, she simply removes the contents and discards the boxes (including the billing invoice). When I discovered that my apartment number was included in the order, I contacted the companies and informed them that the person listed in their database does not live in my apartment and did not order the merchandise. Yesterday, when I emptied the trash, I found copies of correspondence this tenant had thrown out. One of which was a letter from Nordstroms Department Store, returning a check this tenant had submitted for merchandise, and declining to honor the order. I contacted the bank listed on the check and learned that (1) the bank branch "typed" on the check does not exist. However, the routing number and checking account number is an actual account at this bank - just not belonging to the person who's name and our address was also "typed" on the check. When I contacted the U.S. Postal Inspector's office to inquire about an investigation into identity theft, I was told that this tenant could very well be using parts of other tenant's identity but unless or until we discover that we have incurred some financial loss, there is nothing the inspector will do! I have seen correspondence from this tenant written to a local court. Further checking revealed that the person she has been contacting since May, is in fact a probation officer. One of our neighbors dates a police officer who ran a check on plates of some of the tenant's visitors, and learned that several of them are known to local authorities in connection with drug sales and assaultive behavior. It would appear that my choices are to move (which I don't have the resources to do at the moment), or for her to be gone, and there doesn't seem to be anyone to help make that happen. The woman does not work (I work from home occassionally) and the unpredictablity of her partying ways has caused me to be on medication for my nerves, for sleep, and for creating stress that aggravates my ulcer. I am terrified at the prospect that she will walk into court in September, bat her eyes at the judge and plead for more time to look for a place to live (which she won't do - and even now has made no effort to begin packing but is partying even more since her summons). I'm open for any help, suggestions, recommendations, or shared similar experiences that may provide some relief or answers to this situation. I apologize for the length, but this is an abbreviated version of what all of the other tenants and I have been living with since May, 2004. Any and all help is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back