Help! Emancipation!

Bunchcharm3

Jurisdiction
California
I live in California and am a preschool teacher at a private Christian school. I am 17. My bf is 22 but we don't have sex because of my religious beliefs. I have moved out with my moms permission about a month ago into my aunts house. I don't plan on moving in with my boyfriend any time soon. I moved out because my mom put the pg&e in my name and won't pay it. I know that that is illegal. I pay for everything myself. The only thing I don't have is medical and that is because of her. I pay rent. Car insurance and other nessesities. I'm hoping that they will emancipate me but I don't want my boyfriends age to be held against me. I need advice

My bf is 22 but we don't have sex because of my religious beliefs.

And, if you were to have sex, your boyfriend would be committing statutory rape.

my mom put the pg&e in my name and won't pay it.

I hope you have called the utility company and informed it about this. Otherwise, you may already have negative marks on your credit.

The only thing I don't have is medical and that is because of her.

Medical what? Insurance? Why is your mother preventing you from having medical insurance?

I'm hoping that they will emancipate me but I don't want my boyfriends age to be held against me.

Who are they?

Also, how close are you to turning 18? If, for example, you'll turn 18 between now and the end of the summer, seeking early emancipation would be a pretty big waste of time.

Emancipation is only possible with parental permission. You also have to prove to the court that you are self-supporting (which doesn't appear to be the case unless you're paying your aunt rent). Your boyfriend's age has nothing to do with anything.

You can get more information and relevant forms at the Judicial Council's web site. Select "miscellaneous" from the pull-down menu. The emancipation forms start about half way down the page (there are a number of other forms relating to other subject matters as well).

No we don't have sex at all because of my religion and I was raped once before. Yes she won't get me medical insurance. I changed my address and she is trying to get food stamps on me even though I don't live there. Pg&e has been contacted and are looking for her to take her prison. I have payed many of her bills because she is in a lot of debt. I do pay my aunt rent every two weeks. I pay for everything on my own. She pays for nothing with me. The electric bill I was not aware that she was not going to pay it. She put it in my name bc her pg&e account had to much debt so she needed to use my name.

The point you seem to be missing is that even if you are paying rent to your aunt, you are not paying for things like, the electric bill. Which means your aunt is partially supporting you. Which means you are not 100% self sufficient. Which means you don't qualify for emancipation.

I'm hoping that they will emancipate me

You would be wasting your time and money to attempt to be emancipated at age 17.

In fewer than 11 months and 364 days (assuming you turned 17 today), you'll be emancipated by operation of law, when you become 18 years old.

If your birthday was 3 months ago, you'll be emancipated upon your 18th birthday anyway.

The process to become emancipated takes anywhere between 12 to 18 months, maybe more depending on if you reside in a populous area.

Relax. time will march on and in no time, without spending one more dime you'll become an adult.

I'm sure others have explained why it would be a waste of time, no need for me type on about that.

I live in California and am a preschool teacher at a private Christian school. I am 17. My bf is 22 but we don't have sex because of my religious beliefs. I have moved out with my moms permission about a month ago into my aunts house. I don't plan on moving in with my boyfriend any time soon. I moved out because my mom put the pg&e in my name and won't pay it. I know that that is illegal. I pay for everything myself. The only thing I don't have is medical and that is because of her. I pay rent. Car insurance and other nessesities. I'm hoping that they will emancipate me but I don't want my boyfriends age to be held against me. I need advice

As long as you have your mother's permission to live at your aunt's until 18, you're fine. The second she wants you back home, you go home. Once you turn 18, she doesn't control you.

You're not going to get emancipated and it won't do what you think it will do if you did. I suggest reading the hundreds of threads on this very topic in this forum.

California age of consent to sex is 18 - keep that in mind too. "Religious beliefs" aren't a magic wall. Many young people have sex despite "religious beliefs."

No we don't have sex at all because of my religion and I was raped once before. Yes she won't get me medical insurance. I changed my address and she is trying to get food stamps on me even though I don't live there. Pg&e has been contacted and are looking for her to take her prison. I have payed many of her bills because she is in a lot of debt. I do pay my aunt rent every two weeks. I pay for everything on my own. She pays for nothing with me. The electric bill I was not aware that she was not going to pay it. She put it in my name bc her pg&e account had to much debt so she needed to use my name.

So a electric company can put someone in prison? That is another reason you still need a adult in your life.

Until a court signs off on the final paperwork declaring you emancipated and not one minute sooner, as long as you are under 18 you live where your mother says you live. If she says you live with your aunt, then fine, you live with your aunt. If she changes her mind and says you come home, then guess what? You go home.

You pay for "everything" yourself - but not the electric bill?
you are not paying for things like, the electric bill.

Where is this coming from?

The OP wrote, "my mom put the pg&e in my name and won't pay it." In other words, the OP's mother put her electric bill in the OP's name (this is expanded on in post #4 in the thread). The OP also wrote, "I pay for everything myself," including rent to her aunt, so I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that she isn't paying an electric bill (other than the bill that her mother illegally put in her name). While the OP obviously isn't paying the bill that her mother illegally put in her name, that has no relevance to the emancipation issue.

Back