Personal Bankruptcy Help.... Bk or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmiddle1

I am some serious need of advice....
I am young...21 years old. I went through a very irresponsible phase a few years back and lost my job and had a very hard time making payments on any of my bills.
Now, I am in a relationship getting ready to move into a new house (purchsed only in my boyfriends name)... just to see, i ran a credit report.
I have several accounts either in collections or in charge off status. they total up to about $9,000. There are several small accounts that can be paid easily with just one or two paychecks, but there a 2 in particular that would mean making a payment plan. Now i was aware that these had not been paid... and just kept putting them off and now its come down to this.
To build my credit about a year and a half ago i took out a loan againt my car.. only for about $1400.... only two months after that i lost my job and was not able to make any payments.... let it go until now. (dumb,I know) Now, I have been served with papers by the credit union I went through.... ALSO, there is a $2000 debt owed to a tech school I attended around the same time, and was not able to make payments... this account has also had papers delivered to me, but not directly to me (I never recieved those... it was a judgement by default) then i broke a lease 2 years ago because i couldnt make rent and got another $7000 debt.
Now, Ive worked through my finances, and it would take me a year and a half to pay all these completely if the creditors were to allow me to set up payment arrangements. My boyfriend thinks that i should file bankrupcy instead.
are these two accounts ( the ones that i have been delivered paper for) too far out for me to set up payment arrangements? Is filing bk the best bet for me/.... or should i just pay? what would look better on my already shot credit score. (i didnt really have acny credit established period before any of this began... so i really have no credit.... a score doesnt even come up on a report. wouldnt it be better for me too pay off and for these accounts to show up as paid collections on my report rather than bk?? and then build credit from there (with the help of my boyfriend and secured credit cards- pay $500up front... then pay off everything i charge at the end of the month?
Help me.

and also.... with that last thread....

the car loan was never sent to court just charged off... only the school ($2000) and the Apartment ($7000) have a judgement started against me.....

#1- The debts that have judgment against you, or have simply initiated suit against you, are not to late to payoff. The ones that are pre-judgment may even be lowered if you contact the creditor (or attorney) to work something out. As for the debt with judgment- you will end up paying the entire amount... BUT once they are paid you will have the judgments satisfied with the court and your credit score will improve.

#2- Bankruptcy is not just a magic wand you waive in the air and all your debt goes away. Given your age, the fact you are able to work and have had a job recently, and seemingly can come up with this money it does not sound like a court will be willing to grant your bankruptcy. It is much harder than you think, especially with all the new BR rules. Additionally, you will need a BR attorney. They do not run cheep and may end up costing you as much as you owe.

#3- Your boyfriend may think filing BR is a good idea for you, because it does not effect him. But if you ever seperate- you are the one who has BR on your report and who will never get credit ever again- not him. Just something to keep in mind.

Hope this helps. The thing to remember is that to build your credit score, you actually have to build. That means working to pay off debt, not just trying to wipe it all out with BR. Think smart, and just pay these off. You will be better off in the long run. Try to make good on this now, before it effects the rest of your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back