Held Degree

228079ej

Jurisdiction
Florida
My concern is this. I completed all of the courses for my AA from Miami Dade College. This was done over the course of 20 or so years. I applied for graduation after repeatedly speaking to advisors from more than one college. The school has moved to a new system to hold the grades for the students and because I have old classes, they never appeared on the new system. I have called, emailed just about everyone in the school administration (except the president). The new system now has my credits and classes but I am missing 10 credits. They have yet to update this information and I don't know why it is taking so long to get this done. I have repeatedly again, called and met with advisors and administration staff but no one can give me a straight answer. I have the proof that everything is complete and it's like they are giving me the run around..

Concerned Student

20 years is a lot of persistence and I congratulate you on that!

I hope that the registrar will work with you and explain what you have that may possibly not count and that you will be able to get those credits applied to the 10 you don't have.

You need to ask their policies for if and when classes expire and what degree plan year they are using for you. Degree plans can change and some courses that you took may no longer be part of the current degree plan (especially if they are too old). Something required 18 yrs ago, may not be required now and may only count as an "elective". Many times you have to finish the degree plan within a certain # of years or you get bumped to a newer plan.

Ditto to the above. Requirements change and technology and methodologies in many fields have changes a lot in 20 years. A course 20 years ago may not provide you the information or skills expected of a recent graduate with that degree. Most if not all universities will only consider courses taken within a certain window of time as qualifying toward graduation.

Follow your student complaint procedures as outlined on your school's website/student handbook. It isn't clear if you actually followed the steps as outlined or approached the appropriate parties, but your school's policy is spelled pretty clearly how this works.

Back