Hearing Continuance Request

SoCalDad

Jurisdiction
California
We have a set hearing for custody modification by request of other parent. Recently we received a notification from our child's school that an end of year "graduation parade" (kindergarten) will take place on the same day as our set hearing. I immediately reached out to the opposing party attorney (I am self represented) asking if they are in agreement to continue the hearing so that both of us can attend the event, they never responded. I filed a request for request to reschedule the hearing with the court and attached a copy of the scheduled school event and correspondence with attorney requesting the court consider rescheduling the hearing so that we both can attend our child's school event. The request was denied stating that "No agreement from the moving party".

Is our child's school event not a show for "good cause" to continue the hearing? Thank you in advance!

We have a set hearing for custody modification by request of other parent. Recently we received a notification from our child's school that an end of year "graduation parade" (kindergarten) will take place on the same day as our set hearing. I immediately reached out to the opposing party attorney (I am self represented) asking if they are in agreement to continue the hearing so that both of us can attend the event, they never responded. I filed a request for request to reschedule the hearing with the court and attached a copy of the scheduled school event and correspondence with attorney requesting the court consider rescheduling the hearing so that we both can attend our child's school event. The request was denied stating that "No agreement from the moving party".

Is our child's school event not a show for "good cause" to continue the hearing? Thank you in advance!
No. A "Good Cause" reason would not include attending kindergarten graduation.

https://www.lalawlibrary.org/pdfs/LASC Continuances.pdf

Last edited:
That the court denied the request is a pretty obvious answer to your question.

If it makes you feel any better, I can pretty much guarantee that it will take no more than a year or two for you and your child to forget that this non-event ever took place.

If it makes you feel any better, I can pretty much guarantee that it will take no more than a year or two for you and your child to forget that this non-event ever took place.
Ditto. I've never understood these "pseudo" graduations (pre-K, K, ES, MS). I only remember my younger's MS "graduation" because they had to end it halfway through due to a TStorm (who the heck decides to hold a ceremony outdoors, with metal bleachers in the face of a TStorm?) and she was devastated at not actually getting to "walk"...

Back