Healthcare provider refuses to fill out FMLA paperwork

SherrySteffes

Jurisdiction
Missouri
I'm a recovering alcoholic and abruptly stopped drinking on 5-14-18. I was having terrible withdrawals and my husband brought me to the ER because he was afraid the withdrawals might kill me. They treated me at the ER and then a social worker found me a bed in a detox facility that same day. I went to the detox facility that evening and stayed there through 5-18-18. My problem is that the detox center has refused to fill out my FMLA paperwork and fax it to my employer's HR department. I'm in danger of being fired now if the detox center doesn't fill out and return the paperwork by tomorrow, 6-21-18. My employer has even granted me this extra time to get this done. I have been on the phone every day with the detox center, trying to get this paperwork completed. They refuse to let me speak to my case manager and they will not return my calls. Do I have any recourse with the detox center?

I'm not sure there is anything in the law that requires FMLA paperwork to be completed. It's also possible that detox is not considered a "serious health condition" under FMLA. If they aren't returning phone calls, then go there in person and find out why they aren't doing the paperwork.

Confirming that there is no legal requirement that they complete the paperwork; however, I'm not sure they're the appropriate ones for you to have given it to in the first place. Seems to me you want the referring doctor or your primary care physician to be completing it.

did the detox facility have a healthcare provider directly or was it just a bed/place to 'dry out'? Did you actually see a physician while you were there? What dr at the ER referred you to the social worker who found the bed? That's who i would ask to complete the form - the one who diagnosed the issue.

Back