Having Landlord Problems/Need to Break Lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJHARRIS87

Okay, I live in Colorado and am currently renting a townhouse on a year lease that ends March 31. From the get-go, my landlord has been negligent. I took pictures of how the townhouse looked when I moved in, which was disgusting. Nothing was cleaned, nothing was done that was promised to be done, and I'm still fighting with her to get things that were supposed to be done fixed.

I'm currently pregnant, with the baby due in January and I cannot live in this house anymore. The biggest thing right now is that our fridge freezes our food, but not all the way. So any meats, milk, juice, eggs, etc...freeze halfway and then rot. I've talked to her about this numerous times, emailed her, and still have not gotten a response on how to fix the problem. Along with this, our washer/dryer is in the basement and there are no lights and I've asked her to get an electrician out because the wiring for the lights is there, just not hooked up properly. She still has not done this.

On top of that, we have a mouse infestation. I realize that in our lease it states that the landlord is not responsible for any rodent problems that incur after 7 days of moving in, but the problem is that I have severe asthma, and I can't breathe if I'm anywhere near mice or mice feces. This poses a problem for both me and my unborn child.

My question is if it is a good decision to break my lease. I have to give at least 30 days written notice, and I'm planning on giving her 90 days written notice. Is this a reasonable time for her to find another tenant and would I be able to get my deposit back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back