Having 2 different state drivers license

Status
Not open for further replies.

vhorister

Hi i have a NJ drivers license which is valid for 2 months already abut i moved to New york city and they require you to get a NYS license. I'm willing to do it but I have to undergo all the written , road test and probationary period plus you need to attend a pre licensing course which will cost you money and time.
My question is if I apply a NYS license and I don't surrender my NJ license what are the consequences?

Hi i have a NJ drivers license which is valid for 2 months already abut i moved to New york city and they require you to get a NYS license. I'm willing to do it but I have to undergo all the written , road test and probationary period plus you need to attend a pre licensing course which will cost you money and time.
My question is if I apply a NYS license and I don't surrender my NJ license what are the consequences?

I founnd information at: http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/dmvfaqs.htm

I don't know that generally you can't keep your NJ state license and would have to surrender it. It may be voided by the former state once you obtain your current home state's drivers license. However, regarding New York State, the above FAQ states the following at the top:

General Information About Driver Licenses

You must have a NYS driver license or a valid driver license from another US state or from Canada to drive in NYS. In most cases, you can drive in NYS if you have a valid driver license from another country. See "Drivers From Other Nations". The minimum driving age in NYS is 16.

If you become a resident of NYS, you must get a NYS driver license within 30 days and surrender your out-of-state driver license. Normally, you cannot have a NYS driver license and a driver license from another state, but there are exceptions. It is a violation of Federal law to hold more than one commercial driver license (CDL).

Learner Permits and Junior Licenses From Another State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back