harrassment Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

PamT

Presently, I'm being harrassed by the Discover Card people. However,it isn't me that has the debt problem. My daughter has fallen behind on her payments. It doesn't matter to them that she's not here. They start calling and they call all day long, even on my husband's business line. (I can't imagine how they got that number) I've talked nicely to them and explained that she has a cell phone number and that she's not here, yet they continue to call. One day I got nine calls from them. There's no way to do a block in my area.. The last straw was this morning when I asked a gentleman not to call again. He was rude, sarcastic and told me I had no legal recourse. Is this true?

I am in a similar boat, except the debt is mine. But, nonetheless, Discover card is harrassing us to death. We have told them we are paying what we can, but that isn't good enough to them. So, they call at least 10 times a day. Thanks to caller ID I don't have to talk to them. But, it is still annoying.

Is there nothing that can be done about this type of harrassment? I understand I owe a debt and they want their money. But, enough is enough. As long as I'm making some type of payment, they should have no reason to call a million times a day. Is this not even considered harrassment?

Dave

A few links might help...

Yes, your tax dollars occasionally pay off:

FTC deals with this sort of thing:
HTML:
http://ftc.gov/bcp/conline/edcams/credit/index.html

Specifically, you can tell them to knock it off:
(See
HTML:
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/fdc.htm
)
"Can you stop a debt collector from contacting you?
You can stop a debt collector from contacting you by writing a letter to the collector telling them to stop. Once the collector receives your letter, they may not contact you again except to say there will be no further contact or to notify you that the debt collector or the creditor intends to take some specific action. Please note, however, that sending such a letter to a collector does not make the debt go away if you actually owe it. You could still be sued by the debt collector or your original creditor."

BTW, repeatedly calling you is forbidden: "repeatedly use the telephone to annoy someone."

You can actually sue them for this, or report them to the FTC for action on their part. Also, if you get an attorney, you can force them to deal with your attorney. Anyway, the document pretty much covers it all... hope it helps!

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back