Harrasing phone calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjf3123

I use a service station credit card issued through CitiBank / CitiCard / CitiGroup (or who ever they decide to call themselves this week). Have had this account for over 9 years. Historically I have not carried a balance on this account.

Ran into a little cashflow problem over the past 2 months and decided to make the minimum payments on some of my accounts for the time being.

My minimum payment for this account was $10.00, due on 3/14/04. I use Quicken to do my online banking - Scheduled the payment of $10.00 to be processed on 3/13/04 - which it was.

Made the mistake of not looking at my bill, which stated the minimum amount due was $11.35. As a result, I started getting phone calls from Citi [whoever].

First conversation was 2 weeks ago. I was informed that my payment was "late" I disputed that because I could see that the payment actually cleared my account on the due date. I was then told that they received only a partial payment and that I was $1.35 short. After I laughed histerically for several minutes, I asked what my options were. I was told I could either pay the $1.35 over the phone (and incur and additional $8.00 service charge) or add the $1.35 to my next payment due on 4/13. I opted to wait until the next payment was due. I was informed that they would freeze my account (couldn't use the card) until they received the "past due" amount of $1.35. Told them I didn't care.

Since then I have received a MINIMUM of 2 phone calls EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK about the $1.35.

This past Monday I finally got fed up and talked with a supervisor about this, told her that I made the agreement to add an additional $1.35 to my next payment and I was told they would stop the phone calls. I got another phone call 3 hours after talking with the Supervisor.

Sonce Monday I have received another 4 phone calls.

I believe they are violating something here ... I don't think they should have the right to continue to contact me after I agreed to add the $1.35 in the initial conversation (isn't that an agreement?)

What law covers this type of situation?

Everything stated here is 100% accurate.

TIA -
R. Fisher

I always had the feeling that Citibank was very much cash strapped so you have to understand that they really need those $ 1.35!

I don't know if they are breaking any law but if I was you I would pay the exorbitant sum right now, transfer the remaining balance to a different card and tell them at the same time that you close that account immediately.

Just take your business somewhere else.

I'm also not sure if it's illegal, so I'll throw my whinge in here about collections as well!!!

I financed my vehicle for 5 years, starting in 1999. THe vehicle will finally be MINE! towards the end of this year.

Feb. came along, all was good. A family member was then diagnosed with a brain tumor, so all our attention was focused on travel, expense related to treatment, and basically, Getting them taken care of!!

That went well :D Didn't pay my car payment for Feb., which is due on the 18th of the month, with a 10-day grace period.

They contacted me on approx. the 18th of the month, *(maybe 19th..) asking about the payment. It was then at this time, I explained to them to plz make a note, for future, possible calls, I would be making the payment, the following Fri. I explained the family troubles, the situation as to, why I was late in the first place (still in grace period btw.) and they agreed, "made note of my response" and verified my address...... again.....

Regardless..... The Friday comes along, and I'm waking from my slumber..... 11am.. I had TOLD the company, that I'd pay by phone, on this day. 11:15, I get a call from them..... 12:15, I get a call from them...

They called about 4 times b4 I actually answered it. By this time, I'm a tid angry. I ended up ending the conversation, and decided not to pay the bill that day..... They really pissed me off..... I have 4-5 months left on a 5 year loan. For 4.35 years, I've not been late, missing, or otherwise differentiated in what my payment plan entails.

It will be a bump in my credit rating now, but I've decided to wait, and pay both months payments at the same time now, so still haven't paid Feb. payment..

These people call my house, everyday, from about 10:30am, til' 8:40pm at least bi-hourly.....

What troubles me is that they MUST understand somethings, sometimes..... I agree to pay the late fee, what's the problem... IF I was the finance officer... let everyone be late...... That's extra cash for you!!!

Got em anyhow

Actually, I paid the thing off and sent them a nasty gram. Only problem was that the payment was .01 short of the payoff. Now we'll see just how ridiculous they are going to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back