Harassing neighbor's

S

Stephanie1234

Jurisdiction
Minnesota
Since i moved in february 2016. The 2 neighbors have called the landlord on all kinds of false accusations. Like cat being outside, unruly company of mine, my children destroying property, pouring baby powder on there back steps, etc... All r untrue. They have threatened my children of asswhoopens, calling them bitches. What do i do. Also calling police on my 6yr old daughter stating she was harrassing her child and bullying when in fact it was the both of the children fighting and calling eachother names

I suggest you make sure you and yours are ALWAYS in full compliance with your lease, city ordinances, and state laws at ALL times.

Young children should not be allowed outside unless a trusted adult is supervising those children.

Any person is free to call the police at any time for any reason.
The police respond accordingly, and will fully investigate any complaint.

You can't stop anyone from calling the police or lodging a complaint about you with your landlord.

As I suggested above, ALWAYS be in full compliance with your lease, city ordinances, and state laws at all times. Make sure your children, and your guests do the same.

If the calls and complaints keep coming, you'll probably be facing eviction. You can avoid that by knowing what your lease requires, maintaining complete control at all times over your children, pets, and guests.

You might not face eviction, which might not be possible unless there was a violation of the lease. But unless you have a renewal provision guaranteed, you will not be able to get an extension on your lease. In effect that would be accomplishing the same thing with an eviction just being sooner rather than later. So it would seem that the advice given to you would not only be sound but applicable regardless of whether there is the potential for early termination.

Back