Had signed a personal guarantee for a commercial lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpong

My jurisdiction is: CA, USA

I signed a 5 yr comm. lease w/ personal guarantee on it on year 2000, business went down on year 2003, by Nov. of 2003, we ran out of money to pay rent, I closed up my business and look for job. 1 mo. later my landlord sued me for remaining 2 yr rent. At the same time, I got a job offer from a foreign company, we moved out of the country before the trial date. Later, we found out my place was rent out within 2 months. We are planning to move back to the USA now. In this kind of situation, will that Court still can come after me? My wife didn't signed personal guarantee, can they frozen my wife bank account? How do I find out if my landlord continue to sue me after he rent out the place in 2 months?

will that Court still can come after me?

The Court won't. The old landlord might. He may have obtained a default judgment in your absence.

My wife didn't signed personal guarantee, can they frozen my wife bank account?
Probably not. Unless you're using it to hide your own assets.

How do I find out if my landlord continue to sue me after he rent out the place in 2 months?

Contact the court he sued you in.

If he DID sue you, he had a duty to mitigate his losses - that is, to try to rent the place out to someone else. Which he did. You may only be liable for the two months the place was vacant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back