Criminal Law H1B STAMPING and go thru the port of entry after I got a non-traffic citation

Status
Not open for further replies.

arieljs

Hi all,
I obtained my H1B approval in Sep 2010 which takes effect on 10/1/2010. Earlier this month I was given a citation fo shoplifting, what a terriable mistake! now the court date is not set yet, but I'm planning to travel to my home country 12/27 thru 1/10 so i'm thinking should I fight the case and get it dismissed before i leave or can i still travel and come back and take time to work on the case?

so my questions are:

(another info is, the shoplifting value is under $150, i'm a 1st time offender, so the attorney said it'll not be a misdemeanor nor felony, it falls under summary offense, which is more likely to be dismissed.)

1, how would this citation ALONE affect my H1B stamping when i travel back to my home country?
2, what's the impact if i go to the court and hopefully get it dismissed?
3, i spoke with an immigration attorney, he said probably i can get the stamping but not sureif the port of entry authority will let me in. so what's my best bet? getting the case dismissed? and is it possible to have it dismissed at the distric court on the very hearing date??(withou prolonging) but i read even after a case is dismissed/or even expunged, the gov can still see that in your record, the expungement is just a removal from public eyes...like your future emploers... so the key point is, can I re-enter the US and under wat circumstance?

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shopliting is a crime of moral turpitude and could cause you problems. You should consult an Attorney familar with immigration and criminal law

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back