Criminal Law H.R. 4437 and naturalization

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyokusanagi94

I was convicted for petty theft 2 years ago, in 3 more years I will be elegible for naturalization. will the H.R. 4437 affect me from getting citizenship because of my conviction.

S. 2454 is a senate initiative very similar to H.R. 4437 but with a somewhat less severe wording. If you committed a CIMT, you're at the mercy of USCIS when it comes to naturalization, you should contact an attorney for further details.
If you commit a crime that reflects on your good moral character (i.e. a CIMT such as theft) you may not be able to be naturalized. This has nothing to do with H.R. 4437, it is current law.
This is not legal advice, contact an attorney if you require legal help.

How come I cant find anything about that new law.I would appreciate you help Husty, is there anyways I can still get citizenship.

My comments are just that, comments, and are not to be constructed as legal advice. I try to make that very clear for all to see, if you need legal help you must contact an attorney.
What you call "new law" is not law, yet. Current law indicates that if you commit a crime that reflects on your moral character during the statutory period you cannot naturalize, you need to wait another 5 years (or less under special circumstances).
Again, this is not legal advice, only a comment. If you need legal advice you MUST hire an attorney.

that means I have to wait 5 years after the crime to apply for citizenship. One more thing do you think if those 2 laws passes will it affect me in anyway. From what I see that law is concerned about securing the borders and illegal immigration.

Out of the two bills only one, or a combination of the two, will pass and eventually become law.
Indeed they are oriented at increasing security along the border but they also extend the grounds of inadmissibility and removal, sometimes applying the penalties retroactively.
(This is not legal advice, contact an attorney if you need legal help).

Infraction on petty theft

i have a petty theft and i am on H4 visa which is about to renew my criminal attorney says that if your case reduce to infraction then there would be no effect on immigration is that true ? b'se i read somewhere that a infraction involve with theft can create problem on immigration?and will it create any problem in consulate while stamping and any problem on port of entry if i go out of USA ? what kind of punishment will not effect on my immigration please help me i am in a trouble.

Husty said:
Out of the two bills only one, or a combination of the two, will pass and eventually become law.
Indeed they are oriented at increasing security along the border but they also extend the grounds of inadmissibility and removal, sometimes applying the penalties retroactively.
(This is not legal advice, contact an attorney if you need legal help).

Theft, of any kind, is a CIMT. It makes no difference in the nature of the crime if you rob a bank or steal a pencil from the convenience store.
However, most petty theft crimes will go under the petty offense exception, a ONE TIME ONLY "automatic waiver" for very small offenses.
This is NOT legal advice, if you need legal advice contact an attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back