gun permit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drexelmanmunk

I'm able to vote in Ohio but I just read if I have a felony and I get expunged I'm still not able to get my gun permit why is this I haven't got my record expunged yet but I'm able to vote is there anything I can do

I'm able to vote in Ohio but I just read if I have a felony and I get expunged I'm still not able to get my gun permit why is this I haven't got my record expunged yet but I'm able to vote is there anything I can do

Yes, nothing.
Expunging a felony conviction doesn't cleanse the stain, it simply tries to hide it.
Only a full pardon will restore all of your rights, and cleanse the stain of a felony conviction.

By the way, having had your right to vote restored means nothing in regard to owning a firearm.

As far as the Feds see it, only a pardon can restore your right to ever own a gun, despite specific state laws that restore your right to own a firearm.

Yes, its much like the marijuana being legal in state XYZ, and the federal law making marijuana possession illegal.

Even if Ohio law said you could own a firearm, if you were ever arrested by a federal LEO, in possession of a weapon, you could likely be charged.

I suggest to all convicted felons NOT to even touch a firearm, unless they receive a FULL federal pardon.

Firearm laws, much like marijuana laws are confusing, extremely confusing.

I support restoring the right to vote to all ex-felons that have completed their sentences, as well as their ownership of firearms. But, I'm a nobody, and no one listens to this dummy. People should be permitted to redeem themselves.

Lastly, not all felons can vote, even after they've paid their debts.

One final thought, as far as voting goes, its a contested topic as to whether felons are legally allowed or prohibited from voting in federal elections (as in even year elections - presidential every four years - congressional every two years; as in THIS year).

States In Which Felons Are Permitted To Vote

Only two states have no limitations on those convicted of felonies. These two states allow even incarcerated felons to cast ballots. The states are:

Maine
Vermont

Take a look:

http://blogs.kqed.org/lowdown/2014/02/26/felon-voting

These three states strip those convicted of serious crime of their voting rights forever, barring a pardon from the governor.

Florida
Iowa
Kentucky

States That Permanently Ban Some Felons From Voting

These six states strip voting rights from those convicted of the most serious felonies, including "moral turpitude," violent crimes, second felony convictions, election-related offenses and treason.

Alabama
Arizona
Delaware
Mississippi
Nevada
Tennessee

States That Restore Voting Rights to Felons After Completion of Sentence

These 18 states restore voting rights to those convicted of felony crimes only after they have completed their entire sentences including prison term, parole and probation, among other certain requirements.

Alaska
Arkansas
Georgia
Idaho
Kansas
Louisiana
Maryland
Minnesota
Missouri
Nebraska
New Jersey
New Mexico
North Carolina
Oklahoma
South Carolina
South Dakota
Texas
Washington

After Prison Term

These 18 states restore voting rights to convicted felons who have served their prison terms:

California*
Colorado*
Connecticut*
District of Columbia
Hawaii
Illinois
Indiana
Massachusetts
Michigan
Montana
New Hampshire
New York*
North Dakota
Ohio
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Utah

*California, Colorado, Connecticut and New York require convicts to complete parole before having their voting rights restored.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back