Criminal Law Gun Charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

grisadin1

Hi

I hope you can advise me.

I am a permanent resident of Canada for the last 6 months and have settled in Ontario. I went to see my brother in the US who I havent seen for 10 years, and for the first time he showed me his gun and took me shooting on Governement land. We had been shooting at targets for over 50 minutes (12 bullets each, 8 goes) when someone started to shout obscenities, we were worried and went.

Waiting at his home was a Patrol car. We found out that one of the bullets hit the front of a garage (houses are on the left of the land and we were shooting parallel, there could have been ricochet, there were even targets in the bush showing the direction of our firing but that doesn't seem to be taken into consideration). They eventually charged my brother with careless discharge of a firearm. In the past two days I have had a summons to go to a US court for the same charge.

My question is if I plead guilty, would this charge have an affect on my permanent resident status? If I plead non-guilty it will be dragged out, and could be worse?

Also, would I be allowed back into the US to see my family?

I just feel so gutted for something that was completely out of my control.

Many thanks for your time
Dominic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back