Guest issues

Loram

Jurisdiction
Arizona
My current roommate and I have a signed roommate agreement that I got online. I am the primary tenant on the main lease with the owner. In the roommate agreement it states guests and over night guests with consent only. I do not consent to her boyfriend being over anymore. Do I have a legal right to make him leave

My current roommate and I have a signed roommate agreement that I got online. I am the primary tenant on the main lease with the owner. In the roommate agreement it states guests and over night guests with consent only. I do not consent to her boyfriend being over anymore. Do I have a legal right to make him leave

You probably have a right to assert by banning her friend.

However, when he says, "Screw you, I'll come and go as I want."

Your roomie will probably say, "Yeah, you're just jealous 'cause I got a hot dude and no one wants you. I can have anyone I want over here. Try and stop me, you quarrelsome, spying, meddlesome, old hag."

Not much you can do legally, except try and evict her for breaching one of the lease covenants. Expect that to take between eight to twelve weeks, if you're successful.

Meanwhile, they'll ratchet up the nonsense during the lull before court.

The only shortcut is if violence, or threats of violence are made.
If its just blab blab blabber blab, get used to it.
The next move will be, rent will stop being paid, unless they've done that already.
If so, thefts will occur soon.
Of course, you should expect vandalism, too.

The lesson here is don't take in roommates. Search this site, dozens of tales of roomie woes. Protect your sanity, privacy, and mental health; live alone in tranquility and bliss.

If the roommate pays rent to the landlord rather than to you I'd think your signed agreement is essentially useless.
If you don't have authority to evict over the breach then discuss the problem with the landlord. The landlord may not want the extra person there either.
Does your original lease with the landlord address guests?

Her rent is paid to me. My landlord does not know she is there.

Keep her happy, because if she goes squawking about you to the LL, things could become troublesome for you, too!!

It's never a god idea to sublet, but its even worse when the LL has not given you permission to sublet.

Why?

Read your lease. Most leases prohibit subletting, and those that don't require the LL's approval of your tenant.

Keep her happy, because if she goes squawking about you to the LL, things could become troublesome for you, too!!

It's never a god idea to sublet, but its even worse when the LL has not given you permission to sublet.

Why?

Read your lease. Most leases prohibit subletting, and those that don't require the LL's approval of your tenant.
She doesn't even know who the landlord is. They don't even live in the same state

I haven't seen the roommate agreement and verbiage is important. You should also think about what it will take to enforce such an agreement. What are your remedies if your roommate breaches its terms? Eviction? You may have a legal right to do something. Enforcing your legal right is something completely different and it could be expensive. And the police aren't going to get involved in sorting out a domestic, civil dispute.

Back