GUARDIANSHIP

txls

Jurisdiction
Louisiana
I am being given temporary guardianship over my cousin's daughter. Do both parents have to sign or is one sufficient? Both parents are involved and are in agreement, just not sure if he will available to get to a notary in time before I pick her up.

Thanks. I guess I could get her signature to take with me initially then have them mail the original when he gets back in town to sign.

She will live me for a few months and I need to be able to register her in school and take her to the doctor(if needed).

I am being given temporary guardianship over my cousin's daughter. Do both parents have to sign or is one sufficient?

Sign what?

A guardianship is not something that can be "given." A guardianship can only be conferred by a court order.

Both parents are involved and are in agreement, just not sure if he will available to get to a notary in time before I pick her up.

What makes you think anything needs to be notarized?

If you to have a guardianship, then you should consult with a local attorney. If both parents agree that you should have it, they can sign papers to that effect, and it should be no problem. If you don't want to do that, then the only thing that either parent can give you is power of attorney to make certain decisions regarding the child. Based on your follow up posts, that would likely be far more sensible than a temporary guardianship.

Left a message for an attorney this morning, probably won't hear from him until Tuesday. This all came up pretty quick. I guess we'll figure out what we need next week and get them to mail it.

I am being given temporary guardianship over my cousin's daughter. Do both parents have to sign or is one sufficient? Both parents are involved and are in agreement, just not sure if he will available to get to a notary in time before I pick her up.

Guardianship over children isn't GIFTED.

Guardianship, legal guardianship, is achieved in courtroom before a judge.

Be wary if someone is calling a NOTARIZED letter guardianship, ESPECIALLY if BOTH parents aren't involved and it is being ATTEMPTED, not done correctly in a court of law.

FYI The notarized temporary guardianship notice was exactly what the school asked for to get her registered.

Back