Guardian Recently passed of pregnant 16 year old

Zuniga_

Jurisdiction
Texas
I'm 16 years old and currently 27 weeks pregnant living in Bear county Texas.
My grandmother (who had full custody of me) recently passed away. My father is nowhere in the picture and my mother is currently in jail scheduled to be released in February 2018 (a month before I'm scheduled to deliver).
I'm currently living with my non biological grandfather (who raised me But is not legally or biologically related to me) besides him I have basically NO ONE.
My question is, if no one has custody of me can my mother fight for custody? Or can she involve cps and possibly cause problems with my child?Is there anything I can do to stop that from happening? She has many past felony charges for drugs/violence and has been diagnosed mentally unstable without medication but I know She's crazy enough to try. Any advice would be great, thank you.

I'm 16 years old and currently 27 weeks pregnant living in Bear county Texas.
My grandmother (who had full custody of me) recently passed away. My father is nowhere in the picture and my mother is currently in jail scheduled to be released in February 2018 (a month before I'm scheduled to deliver).
I'm currently living with my non biological grandfather (who raised me But is not legally or biologically related to me) besides him I have basically NO ONE.
My question is, if no one has custody of me can my mother fight for custody? Or can she involve cps and possibly cause problems with my child?Is there anything I can do to stop that from happening? She has many past felony charges for drugs/violence and has been diagnosed mentally unstable without medication but I know She's crazy enough to try. Any advice would be great, thank you.

First of all, I only want to see that you and your baby get the help you need to stay healthy.
Second I want to see that you continue your education, you'll need that now more than ever.
Third, you are not alone.
It will take some effort on your part to reach out and find where you can get the help you will need.
If you want to stay where you are, it might be possible for that to occur, but you'll need help to have that happen.

The bigger worry is for the baby.
That baby will need medical acre, as will you.
You'll also need to eat healthy to make sure the baby has every chance to be born healthy!!!

No one can predict what another person might do, will do, or even can do.

That said, if your guardian is deceased, CPS would probably appoint your existing grandfather (I presume he was married to our recently deceased grandmother) as your emergency custodian.

That is, IF CPS becomes involved.

If you aren't enrolled in school, that could potentially occur.

If you are enrolled in school, I suggest you speak with one of your school's counselors.

You will need ongoing prenatal and postnatal care for you and the baby.

You will need resources to maintain a home, get food, medical care, etc...

The state can assist you with such things, if you have no legal guardian, which you apparently do NOT because of the death of your grandmother.

Without belaboring the point, you are what the law labels a CHINS (Child In Need of Services), which is a good thing for you and your soon to bloom, bundle of joy.

Reach out ASAP to a school counselor, CPS, the police, a house of worship, or better YET, a local hospital.

Below you will find some agencies in Bexar Count and San Antonio.
These agencies will see to it you get medical care for you and baby.
They can help with housing.
They can hep with food.
They can help with formula, diapers, and wipes for baby.
Most importantly, they make sure you can continue your high school education.

If you wish to birth and keep the baby, there are agencies with resources to help you achieve that goal.

In Bexar County here are links to agencies that offer services to girls in your predicament:

http://www.sanantonio.gov/Portals/0/Files/health/HealthyLiving/TeenHealth/FactSheet-Teen.pdf

Project MAS - The Children's Shelter

Pregnancy Care Center - San Antonio, TX - Home

Teen HOPES program provides young mothers guidance and support | San Antonio, Texas Local Community News & Journalism

Parenting

Bexar County low income housing and shelter

My question is, if no one has custody of me can my mother fight for custody?

Your mother "can fight" for anything she wants, but an incarcerated person cannot be awarded custody of a child.

can she involve cps and possibly cause problems with my child?

In the abstract, virtually anything is impossible.

Is there anything I can do to stop that from happening?

To stop what from happening? To stop your mother from "fighting" for something? No. To stop her from contacting CPS? No.

It isn't clear how your grandmother came to be raising you. If she just had temporary guardianship because Dad is MIA and Mom is in jail, that terminated with her death. Your mother and possibly father still retain full legal custody of you. If your father shows up or your mother is released, you go where they tell you to go.

Now if your grandmother adopted you legally, your mother no longer has any legal claim to you at all. You are essentially a ward of state until another arrangement can be made.

Back