Grounds For Appeal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper21

I have plead guilty to a crime and sentencing has occurred. I have since found out that the victim has a very close business/political relationship with the judge's ex-husband. The victim is the treasurer for the judges ex-spouse and holds the ex-spouse's campaign money. Also the victim has donated thousands of dollars to the judge's ex-spouse's campaign. The judge and this ex-spouse live in the same city and have adult children together. They have been divorced for several years.
My case dragged on for four years and I find it very difficult to believe that the judge and ex-spouse have not had contact with each other in that time frame. I also find it difficult to believe that given the ex-spouse's relationship with the "victim" that they have not tried to talk to the judge about the case. I have no proof of any impropriety.
I know that if an actual spouse was involved that the judge would have a conflict of interest, but I can find no rules regarding ex-spouses.

Would this give me any grounds for appeal?

You plead guilty so no decision there. Federal sentencing is highly regulated and there is very little leeway. So I doubt seriously that you have error for an appeal. If you did there still is little or no harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back