Permanent Residency Greencard through marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

AboutTimeIFiled

Hi Guys,

I am currently working for firm in California with a pending employment based adjustment of status (i 485). I am also married to a American citizen for the past 3 years. My questions are

1. Can i concurrently file for an family based green card?
2. I am from India...are the family based green card petitions current or is there a waiting period for this as well similar to the employment based petitions?

Thanks in advance..

Last edited:
Double Dipping?

If you have been married to a U.S. Citizen for the past three years, then not only are you now a Lawful Permanent Resident (L.P.R.), but you are also eligible to become a U.S. Citizen if you wanted to. So, why did you apply for a change status through employment when you are already authorized and have been given leave to live and work in the United States permanently?

And so as an L.P.R., you can start a family petition at any time.

You did change your status when you got married to a U.S. Citizen, did you not?

fredrikklaw

If you have been married to a U.S. Citizen for the past three years, then not only are you now a Lawful Permanent Resident (L.P.R.), but you are also eligible to become a U.S. Citizen if you wanted to. So, why did you apply for a change status through employment when you are already authorized and have been given leave to live and work in the United States permanently?

And so as an L.P.R., you can start a family petition at any time.

You did change your status when you got married to a U.S. Citizen, did you not?

fredrikklaw

Thanks fredrikklaw,

I was already in the US on a work visa when we got married (H1B) and my company offered to go ahead and file the GC (employment based), so i never bothered to file the family based GC. But i am considering this now since the employment based GC is taking a long time to process...

So you think i should go ahead and file the family based GC?

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back