Other Immigration Law Green Card Renewal

Status
Not open for further replies.

eventheodds1

I was arrested in 2011 for possession of Marijuana (under a gram), possession of a stolen property (a high school football helmet), and a schedule 1 narcotic (one pill).
I plead no contest to Marijuana and football helmet and paid $179 for each of the two charges. I agreed a diversion with the DA for six months and completed it. The charges for Schedule 1 narcotic were dropped. The conviction for Marijuana was also dropped.

However, during the process my citizenship was denied in 2011 due to CIMT for stolen property of helmet and Marijuana for behavioral reasons. So I decided to wait the five year for good behavior however my green card expires in Jan of 2016. I plan on renewing my green card six months prior and applying for citizenship as soon as possible.

I am worried about green card renewal. Advise?

The other two charges were dropped and the helmet, the only conviction,qualifies under petty offense as it did not exceed the fine limit nor one year of prison.

I am worried about green card renewal. Advise?

We don't provide legal advice, nor do we advise posters as to how they should proceed or decide.

We simply discuss the criminal justice process, the legal system in general, and the civil court process.

I suggest you seek the advice and counsel of an attorney licensed to practice law in the state where you currently reside.

One other suggestion, sir or madam, don't demand or mandate when you seek information.

If you're worried about renewing your Green Card, be proactive and don't break any laws.

Obeying the laws of any society (civilized, tribal, or even criminal) is relatively easy for most people.

People live 80 plus years and find it easy not to steal or use illegal drugs.

The time to worry is BEFORE you commit offenses against the peace and dignity of the people in the state (or country) where you reside or visit.

Good luck in finding yourself an immigration lawyer.

Last edited:
Thank you sir.

Apologies for demanding/mandating information. I hate that my life depends on the eighteen year old kid who tried to be with the cool kids in high school.

Yea lawyers are expensive for a college kid.

Even, is there a law school close to you? Most have a program where the students are doing the work, under the guidance of an attorney - they can really help you.

(as an example, in Fargo ND - yeah, I lived there :D - the law school has arrangements with Legal Aid specifically aimed at the more complex situations)

Does the college you go to possibly have a law school?

Thank you sir.

Apologies for demanding/mandating information. I hate that my life depends on the eighteen year old kid who tried to be with the cool kids in high school.

Yea lawyers are expensive for a college kid.

You're most welcome, sir or ma'am.
Most lawyers will meet with you in person for 20 to 30 minutes to discuss your legal issue(s).
That initial meeting allows you to ask several questions.
The better news is most attorneys do this for no charge or further obligation.
Many people visit five or six lawyers and come away with useful information they can use to decide what they can do next.
The only cost to you being the time you invest to educate yourself.
I suggest you make an appointment or two with immigration attorneys in your area and see what you can learn to help you keep your Green Card.
I wish you success.

The reason it is imperative you have an immigration lawyer is the possession of a sch 1 narcotic in tandem with the helmet and mj. Just because the police gave you a by on it does not mean immigration will. A lawyer will guide you through your application and interview to obtain the best outcome. If immigration holds the narcotic possession against you, you can be banned permanently. You definitely need a lawyer on your team.

The narcotic was not mine in the first place. It was my best friend in high school and he had a prescription for it. I never once used it. It just happened to be on the passenger side of my car. I said this in the police report which is why the DA offered me Diversion and she said it is like it never even happened.

I will go to my University's Legal department.

Thank you for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back