Naturalization, Citizenship Green card renewal vs. citizenship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Time

I have been in the US since 2001 as a perm. Resident and my card is about to expire. I am terrified of renewing or applying for the citizenship. When i was a teen i did some stupid things. I have 3 misdemeanors of driving on suspended license but all dismissed, a petty theft that was dismissed and a fraud that was reduced to a misdemeanor of which i was convicted and on the disposition is states as false report of a misdemeanor. I would like to get it expunged because i am applying into nursing school. I was arrested for all the charges. Will this be a problem to apply for citizenship or to renew my green card. Thank you in advance for any kind of advice.

I have been in the US since 2001 as a perm. Resident and my card is about to expire. I am terrified of renewing or applying for the citizenship. When i was a teen i did some stupid things. I have 3 misdemeanors of driving on suspended license but all dismissed, a petty theft that was dismissed and a fraud that was reduced to a misdemeanor of which i was convicted and on the disposition is states as false report of a misdemeanor. I would like to get it expunged because i am applying into nursing school. I was arrested for all the charges. Will this be a problem to apply for citizenship or to renew my green card. Thank you in advance for any kind of advice.

I'm not your friendly United States Custom and Border Patrol Agent or Officer.

Yo no soy tu amable Estados Unidos Custom and Border agente de la Patrulla u Oficial.

But, if you did all of those things, its a wonder you're still here.

Pero, si lo has hecho todas esas cosas, es una maravilla que todavía estás aquí.

Sure, you can attempt to get that stuff expunged, but its not going to be erased.

Claro, usted puede tratar de conseguir esas cosas borrado, pero no va a ser borrado.

Even if you had the records sealed (which ain't happening), the United States of America Federal Government will still see every stain you caused to be placed beside your once, unsullied name.

Aún si tiene los registros cerrados (que no está sucediendo), los Estados Unidos de América Gobierno Federal seguirá viendo toda mancha que has causado para ser colocado al lado de su vez, el nombre inmaculado.

Your "criminal" history is not good. You most likely will run into problems trying to do all that you want to accomplish.

I'm not entirely in agreement with the others.

These are petty crimes, and if they happened before you obtained your residency they're even less likely to matter.

Even if they happened afterwards, there's only one that might be considered a CIMT and that's the fraud.

See an immigration attorney by all means, but my gut instinct is that these won't matter at all.

I would like to get it expunged because i am applying into nursing school. I was arrested for all the charges. Will this be a problem to apply for citizenship or to renew my green card. Thank you in advance for any kind of advice.

Just when did all these arrests happen?

They all happened after the 5 year period. The last one fraud the false report of a misdemeanor happened almost 6 years ago

Speak with an attorney anyway.

Because only one of the crimes would possibly be a CIMT, and because it happened after the 5 year period (you did your homework - well done :) ), I am not convinced that it will actually make a lot of difference, if any.

Speak with an attorney anyway.

Because only one of the crimes would possibly be a CIMT, and because it happened after the 5 year period (you did your homework - well done :) ), I am not convinced that it will actually make a lot of difference, if any.

What you posted does sound reasonable, Proserpina.

You are not an Agg-Fel!

TIME...

You are wasting time and energy worrying over nothing and you can apply for Citizenship with confidence about a favorable outcome and here are my reason why!

You have absolutely nothing to worry about and the very simple fact that you are at home writing to this forum and not languishing in an Immigration Detention Center being subjected to the horrors of a drawn out and humiliating Removal Proceedings is all the proof you need. Because if there was to be any problem with your convictions in the past, you can rest assured that you would have been arrested and detained by I.C.E. a long time ago and would probably be back in your home country by now.

So. the fact that you have not been and are writing this question on this forum is the foremost indication that you have not been labeled a "Criminal Alien" by I.C.E. and company who would have been notified of your arrests by the police immediately and if there was ever going to be any problems with the DUIs and whathaveyous, you would have had an Immigration Hold placed on you on arrival at Jail and your Bail privileges revoked before you even reach finger-printing. An immigration hold ensures that you will be handed over to immigration folks's custody immediately upon completion of the criminal case, meaning that you would have dressed up and said goodbye to the Sheriffs in one holding cell and arrested by ICE when you stepped in the next cell room.

It is important to know that not any ol' crimes subject an alien to removal proceeding and/ or other laundry lists of aggravations dished out by I.C.E., including of course being denied renewal of L.P.R. and Citizenship applications. The only time a green card holding alien who is not a U.S. Citizen (obviously) is subject to being apprehended, detained, and placed in Removal Proceedings is when his indiscretions amount to what Immigration Court has termed "Aggravated Felony (A.F) for Immigration Purposes." This means that if an alien racks up two or more misdemeanor DRUG convictions at state level, he is now an Aggravated Felon for immigration purposes and subject to removal from the United States.

There are basically two types of crimes that will get an alien harassed mercilessly and booted out and they are (1) crimes involving Drugs and (2) crimes involving those of Moral Turpitude. Anything else and I.C.E. is not interested and will not come looking for you. Therefore, convictions such as (your) simple D.U.I. and other run-of-the-mill non-violent convictions go unchecked and unmolested by I.C.E. and will positively not become obstacles in the alien's immigration process.

So, do not worry at all; go ahead and apply for Citizenship with confidence, but just remember to answer the question about arrests and whatnot truthfully.

I don't know on what basis you originally obtained the Green Card, but if you have become eligible in any shape or form for U.S. Citizenship, then I ABSOLUTELY recommend that you apply to become a U.S. Citizen instead of merely renewing the Green Card.

It will all go well for you. Just don't get any more misdemeanors of any kind any more!

fredrikklaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back