Other Immigration Law Green Card Renewal & DUIs

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatieBear

We're getting ready to file my husband's green card renewal application (form I-90) and I'm worried about background checks etc. He was arrested on a DUI charge in 2003, resulting in a probation before judgment (PBJ). Then in 2012, he was pulled over and arrested for another DUI (after nearly 10 years, the whole time an active member of AA). And due to some confusion around updating his license after his court case, was pulled over in December 2013 for driving on a suspended license.

Also, one other matter in 2002 was later expunged - will that come up in a background check?

He didn't serve any jail time on the DUI's but I'm worried that these things combined will derail his chances of getting his green card renewed. Walking away from his green card and life here in the States isn't an option as we're raising our kids here (3 of the 4 of us were born here). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Criminal Charges and Convictions involving the abuse of adult beverages are considered violations of the moral turpitude clause.
For the 1,000th time, I suggest you consult an immigration lawyer or the bureaucrats that administer Green Card Procesing at Homeland Seurity.

We're getting ready to file my husband's green card renewal application (form I-90) and I'm worried about background checks etc. He was arrested on a DUI charge in 2003, resulting in a probation before judgment (PBJ). Then in 2012, he was pulled over and arrested for another DUI (after nearly 10 years, the whole time an active member of AA). And due to some confusion around updating his license after his court case, was pulled over in December 2013 for driving on a suspended license.

Also, one other matter in 2002 was later expunged - will that come up in a background check?

He didn't serve any jail time on the DUI's but I'm worried that these things combined will derail his chances of getting his green card renewed. Walking away from his green card and life here in the States isn't an option as we're raising our kids here (3 of the 4 of us were born here). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

He really does need to speak with an attorney, and the timeline is absolutely crucial here - it's not simply a case of what he did, but also of when he did it relative to when he first got his green-card.

Amy, I'm sure it wasn't your intent, but you managed to leave me feeling like a cheap idiot with your response. Emoticons don't lessen the effect.

Please remember that people asking questions here are often frightened for their family and the future they may or may not have here at home - especially here on the immigration thread.

I've seen conflicting advice here when it comes to DUI's (such as jail time / length of time served) and would appreciate it if someone could address my specific concerns.

Thanks!

Criminal Charges and Convictions involving the abuse of adult beverages are considered violations of the moral turpitude clause.
For the 1,000th time, I suggest you consult an immigration lawyer or the bureaucrats that administer Green Card Procesing at Homeland Seurity.

Thanks, Proserpina. He's got a lawyer for his DUI from 2012. He doesn't seem alarmed by all this but I'm just trying to gather a bit more information here before we file the renewal app.

Amy, I'm sure it wasn't your intent, but you managed to leave me feeling like a cheap idiot with your response. Emoticons don't lessen the effect.

Please remember that people asking questions here are often frightened for their family and the future they may or may not have here at home - especially here on the immigration thread.

I've seen conflicting advice here when it comes to DUI's (such as jail time / length of time served) and would appreciate it if someone could address my specific concerns.

Thanks!

I am not responsible for how others feel, just as they are not responsible for how I feel.

The information offered here is FREE.

It is simply information, not legal advice, and no one should expect FREE legal advice.

Anything that is FREE should be looked at with much suspicion.

In all things of legal significance, seek the advice of an attorney you have hired and trust.

Make sure the attorney explains just what you're paying him or her to do by providing you with a signed retainer.

That's the contract upon which your attorney will proceed on your behalf.

All we do here is discuss things, much like strangers might do on an airplane, train, pub, coffee shop, or a waiting room.

Entrust your legal issues to a licensed (in your jurisdiction) lawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back