Criminal Law Green Card/ JOB application/misdemanor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanaccord

I'd received a 94 MPH(/65 mph) ticket in Virginia, in 2003. I went to court and was awarded jail-time, license suspension and heavy fine(District Court). Speeding above 80 mph is rekless driving by speed in VIrginia.

I appealed to Circuit Court and got myself a helpful lawyer. Lawyer told me that particular county was rough with plea-bargaining, he had me get my speedometer inspected. It didn't help that much (as I'd expected), still, it was off by 4 mph. Plus, my record was clean. Judge seemed to like me (and the lawyer I'd gotten) and reduced my speed to 90 mph (no suspension, no jail-time), I thanked the lawyer, paid the fine ($500), and returned home. Knowing that I was a student, the lawyer merely charged me $50 (that generosity of his has made me a different person today).

Surprisingly, the ticket did not appear on my driving record. I was expecting 6 pts. and an insurance hike, nothing happened. Could this be a clerical error?

I clearly remember the judge saying, "The court finds the defendant guilty of reckless driving at 90mph, fined $500.[misdemmanor in VA]"

Anyways, now that I'm graduating and I'm applying for jobs, I want to know whether I should disclose that I've had a misdemenor conviction? Would employers be able to check my conviction? Can it be on some sort of criminal record, even if it is not on my driving record? As I'm an Mechanical Engineer/Aerospace Specialization would it limit my options on getting certain jobs that require security clearance?

I've asked these questions to a lawyer but haven't gotten responses. I expect that people on this forum have been in similar situations before and might be able to help.

In addition, I've a Green Card and I will be eligible to apply for citizenship next year. I dont know how to disclose this misdemaneor on my application, and that if it may have any repercussions on my eligibility for citizenship or should I wait for another 5 years from the date of the incident before I apply for citizenship.

Any help would be appreciated. BTW, I havent talked to any immigration lawyer yet.

Thanks in advance, :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back