Green Card Holder not Paying Child Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

mico62

I've already posted this in the immigration section but not had any responses so wondering if anyone here can help.

My ex and I are both Uk citizens. A consent order was signed in 2004 to finalise our divorce and agree child maintenance. He would not agree to the UK 20% for 2 children formula and the order states the amount he would pay albeit considerably less than 20% of his income.

Ex obtained a green card in November 2007 and now lives and works in Texas.

Following my remarriage he has stopped paying child support, I was not awarded spousal maintenance. Maintenance was to continue at the amount in the order until youngest finishes university, she is only 15.

I have made a claim under the Maintenance Orders Reciprocal Enforcement Agreement between UK and USA but 17 yr old son is about to commence university this September.

Can his green card be revoked for non-payment if so who can I contact to speed things up as son is talking about deferring his place because I can't afford to help with his accommodation costs that aren't covered by his student loan.

If you get his green card revoked, (which you won't) how does that help your son fund his college education?

I was hoping the threat of revocation might make him face up to his legal and moral obligations. He's told his son he's 'untouchable' and suggested he gets a job like a real man!

When he was applying he always said he couldn't break the law or he wouldn't get his card, surely that should still apply, I upheld my side of the consent order and paid him a proportion of the equity of the house I bought when I returned to the UK (without any help from him and he was never on the deeds or mortgage but it was classed as a marital asset). Try to do right for your kids and you get punished while the wrongdoer gets rewarded.

This is the same deadbeat bum you chose to help you make those babies decades ago! Perhaps this might have all been avoided had you chosen more wisely?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back