Permanent Residency Green card best choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delasabana

Multiple questions:
I came to the US on an F-1 visa to go to an English program. I met my now fiance and am planning to get married soon. The problem is he is a student at the University, I would simply go to the same University as him but it is just too expensive so I must return to Colombia to finish my degree. I am currently working in a restaurant on campus, so question 1...
Is it possible to stay in this job for the 60 days after my classes end legally?

I have looked into a Green Card for myself in order to keep working for the time, but since I am returning to Colombia for a year and a half and within the next 5 months I did not think it was enough time to apply for the card, receive it and then apply for a Re-Entry Permit.
Would it be possible to apply, since it is obvious I have intent of residency for my husband, even though I have plans of returning to my home country?
Now for the what ifs...
What would happen if I received the card, but was out of the country? Would there be a penalty for coming back? Also would there be a penalty for reapplying even if I am still married or would it be an easy process?
I know about the two year penalty since we are recently married.
So I guess the main question is, what is my best choice?
I want to marry him, stay here and work from May (the time my classes end) until August (when I return to Colombia to get my degree) and then come back in a year and a half to live with him.
Thank you in advanced.

came to the US on an F-1 visa to go to an English program. I met my now fiance and am planning to get married soon. The problem is he is a student at the University, I would simply go to the same University as him but it is just too expensive so I must return to Colombia to finish my degree. I am currently working in a restaurant on campus, so question 1...
Is it possible to stay in this job for the 60 days after my classes end legally?
You are not to work during your grace period per completion of course.

I have looked into a Green Card for myself in order to keep working for the time, but since I am returning to Colombia for a year and a half and within the next 5 months I did not think it was enough time to apply for the card, receive it and then apply for a Re-Entry Permit.
Would it be possible to apply, since it is obvious I have intent of residency for my husband, even though I have plans of returning to my home country?
Once you marry and file for GC, you are okay even if your visa had expired provided you entered here legally and have you I-94. You can stay here and get your GC without returning home. Talk to a local immigration lawyer about processing……….
Now for the what ifs...
What would happen if I received the card, but was out of the country? Would there be a penalty for coming back? Also would there be a penalty for reapplying even if I am still married or would it be an easy process?
I know about the two year penalty since we are recently married.
So I guess the main question is, what is my best choice?
Don't understand your question!
I want to marry him, stay here and work from May (the time my classes end) until August (when I return to Colombia to get my degree) and then come back in a year and a half to live with him.
You can marry here without going back home………it is your call, you decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back