Permanent Residency green card and quitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

august

Hi,
Is there any regulation about quitting the company that sponsors a worker for a green card? In other words, after receiving a green card, is there a minimum time requested to stay employed with the company before changing job?
Thank you.

No. Legally you can get a green card and quit the next day. That is the difference to employment based temporary visa, which would become invalid that moment.

Sometimes employers make you sign a contract though, that gives penalties if you quit before a certain time is up. Some of these provisions are unlawful, too, some are not.

But once you have the green card you will not lose it because you change employers.

The only exception is if it would appear that the employment contract was a sham just to get you a green card.

Last edited:
employment contract for getting green card

is it legal for my employer to ask me to sign a contract while the green card process is already underway and ask me to reimburse the legal process to obtain the green card if I have to leave the company within 3 years after getting the green card? isn't this an indenture servitude? Thanks.

No, this is probably considered fair. The green card process costs the employer a lot of money, usually thousands of dollars, so it is fair for him to ask for a reimbursement if you don't stay with him for a while. You are always free to go. You just need to pay the green card costs yourself then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back