Granmajo

Status
Not open for further replies.

granmajo

I am writing about a situation my 21 yr old daughter is in. She moved to this small town in Sept and got a job working at the local Truck Stop at the Fuel Island for the truckers. During her employment there she had some personality conflicts. She was accused of not doing her job by one person and another person "saw" that she did do it. Well the "one person" who has been there for sometime complained to the manager and told him that is he didn't fire her she was going to quit. So not long after that, the manager called her into his office and fired her by saying she stole $500 from them!! Totally false!! The never called the police or filed any reports. They also kept her last paycheck.

Ok, now she finds another job at the local grocery store. The former employer came through her check out line and saw she was at work there and went home and called the owner of the grocery market and told him that same old lie about stealing money and then he called his store manager and told him to fire her!! Can they do that??? She is a singel mom in a small town trying to make a way for her and her baby and they are ruining her reputation...isn't that defemation of character?? What kind of recourse do we have? It's just not right to toy with people's lives like that.

There are several possible illegalities here, starting with her former employer keeping her last paycheck. Your daughter should contact her State's Department of Labor right away and file a complaint about that.

Her former employer telling others that your daughter was fired for stealing if he doesn't have proof that she did so is highly questionable and it may constitute slander. I suggest your daughter consult with a local attorney. At a minimum, a strongly worded "cease and desist" letter from a lawyer may result in her former employer keeping his mouth shut.

Yikes, assuming it is true that she never stole or "took" any money and things happened the way you write it, Beth is right, she would have a case of defamation, of interference with contractual relations etc. etc. She should consult an attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back