Grandparents and baby's father won't let the baby's mom see her...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdsnurse

My niece gave birth 2 months ago. She's 19 and her boyfriend is 20. They live with friends and at their young age, are not financially set for a new baby. Since birth my niece has been battling severe depression. Tried Zoloft but it made things worse. Can't afford to go to the doctor again. She has continued to request to see her daughter but the baby's dad refuses...says he's tired ect. She wants to have her daughter and see if she's got what it takes to be a parent. They fight and argue like every young couple under stress. The boyfriend is scared to stand up to his family. They will not allow her to bring her baby for a 2 week visit with me. They have had the baby approx 6 weeks. I live 2 hours away and I am a nurse. They have met me. What rights does my niece have?? I'm ready to drive there and help her get her daughter for a visit but the grandparents say no and the baby's father is saying no........what can she do??

Has a court given custody or guardianship to the father and/or his family?

My niece gave birth 2 months ago. She's 19 and her boyfriend is 20. They live with friends and at their young age, are not financially set for a new baby. Since birth my niece has been battling severe depression. Tried Zoloft but it made things worse. Can't afford to go to the doctor again. She has continued to request to see her daughter but the baby's dad refuses...says he's tired ect. She wants to have her daughter and see if she's got what it takes to be a parent. They fight and argue like every young couple under stress. The boyfriend is scared to stand up to his family. They will not allow her to bring her baby for a 2 week visit with me. They have had the baby approx 6 weeks. I live 2 hours away and I am a nurse. They have met me. What rights does my niece have?? I'm ready to drive there and help her get her daughter for a visit but the grandparents say no and the baby's father is saying no........what can she do??

Your niece may have made a very big mistake by giving the baby for safekeeping over the alleged father.
A child born out of wedlock automatically goes to the mother for many reasons related to nursing, but primarily because unwed fathers of such children have no inherent paternal rights.
A "baby daddy" must go to court to request paternity be established, and seek visitation.
Normally he won't get custody until the baby has begun to eat solid foods, and is safely transitioning into the world into which it was born.

It looks like your niece's mental health issues caused her to hand over custody of baby dumpling to daddy dearest.
At this point, she may need a lawyer to assist her in getting the baby returned.
Logic tells me "daddy dearest" will soon seek child support payments, and argue against "mommy muffin" regaining custody anytime in the near future. He could argue that due to mom's delicate mental state, that any visits she gets be supervised by a social worker, or mental health professional at their office or health facility.

You and mommy should speak to a couple lawyers and discuss mommy's options.
If she waits too much longer, it'll only become more difficult for mom.
But, is this the best thing for your niece?
It's time for her to see a psychiatrist, or someone at the county mental health agency.

Whatever you do, don't go to the home of the current caretakers.
Things are too testy and uncertain at the moment, and it's best to avoid any shouting matches or public displays of aggression or agitation.

We don't know if the Father/Grandparents have any kind of court ordered custody. However, I would do as suggested & have your niece talk to a lawyer & also get some "mental health" type counseling/treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back