grandchildren left out of will

dragonfly1

My grandmother was an alcoholic and died before my great grandmother passed away. The great grandmother blamed my Mom and her siblings for my grandmother drinking problems and excluded my Mom and her siblings from her will. Does my Mom have any legal grounds to contest the will? I personally believe children have no control over a parents drinking/health issue.

Nope. No one is legally obligated to leave anything to their children or grandchildren and no one is ever entitled to an inheritance no matter what they think.

As long as great grandmother was of sound mind when she wrote her will then your Mom and her siblings will have to just go out into the world and make their own living.

Nope. No one is legally obligated to leave anything to their children or grandchildren and no one is ever entitled to an inheritance no matter what they think.

As long as great grandmother was of sound mind when she wrote her will then your Mom and her siblings will have to just go out into the world and make their own living.
Anyone who blames their own grandchildren for their mother's drinking and health issues related is far from "a sound mind."

Anyone who blames their own grandchildren for their mother's drinking and health issues related is far from "a sound mind."

The legal standard for "sound mind" in making a will (also known as "testamentary capacity") is that the testator understands that he or she is making a will and understands the scope of the assets and to whom they are to be distributed.

That those decisions may be based on personal convictions that are questionable or objectionable to others (ie: those not getting any money) have nothing to do with being of "sound mind" to make a will.

PS: I have often heard parents exclaim that their kids are driving them to drink. ;)

I don't see any reason, based on what you posted, for contesting the will.

Back