grand list

john urbowicz

Jurisdiction
Connecticut
received supplemental motor vehicle tax bill 2 weeks ago for a car I purchased in july 2019. the grand list is stated as being october 2018. called the tax office and couldnt make sense of their explanation. shouldn't the date be 0ct. 2019 for the grand list?

thanks for your response. don't know where to look in that information to find answer to my question. I need to know if they are taxing me for 2018 when I didn't own the car. I don't want to pay extra taxes other than what I owe.

In a nutshell, the taxes are assessed based upon ownership as of October 1st, which is why it shows 2018. If you acquired the vehicle before October 1st of 2019, but after October 1st of 2018, then you will be responsible for a portion of the tax (a "pro-rated supplemental motor vehicle tax") based upon the amount of time you owned the car from prior to the next Grand List in Oct. of 2019.

This is laid out on page 7 of the document that adjusterjack referred you to (under "Billing and collection").

EDIT: You will ALSO be responsible for tax based on the 2019 Grand List - but that will be the full amount, not a prorated amount.

Back