GPS Tracker

C. Willis

Jurisdiction
Michigan
I purchased a vehicle through a company that did not tell me there was a GPS tracker on the vehicle that included a box that can interrupt my starter if the note was not paid on time. By the time I found out, it was months down the line, but it wasn't a big deal to me because I never considered not paying my car note. Fast forward a few more months, the device on the car starts to malfunction, I notified the leasing company, they sent a tech out with no issue. Fast forward a few years, the same thing happens; the box is malfunctioning, they refuse to send anyone out. I complain about it several times, for several months with no result. At this time, the box has completely stopped working so my car will not start. It has been several weeks, and the company is contacting me about my payment, but still no word on when a tech will come out to remove or replace the faulty device. I have had to pay for tows, purchased parts I did not need, another tow and full diagnostic check only to be told that there is nothing wrong with the vehicle except for the device that's interrupting the starter. Can I sue for breach of contract?

It has been several weeks, and the company is contacting me about my payment, but still no word on when a tech will come out to remove or replace the faulty device.
Are you late on your payment?

Can I sue for breach of contract?
Any assessment of whether your contract has been breached would require a full review of said contract. Such review goes beyond the scope of this (or any) internet forum. You should contact a local attorney for advice.

I purchased a vehicle through a company that did not tell me there was a GPS tracker on the vehicle that included a box that can interrupt my starter if the note was not paid on time.

Is this fact disclosed in the paperwork you signed?

it wasn't a big deal to me because I never considered not paying my car note. . . . At this time, the box has completely stopped working so my car will not start. It has been several weeks, and the company is contacting me about my payment

These two statements appear to be inconsistent.

Can I sue for breach of contract?

Sure you can. Anyone can sue anyone for anything.

Please quote the provision of the contract that you believe was breached.

I purchased a vehicle through a company that did not tell me there was a GPS tracker on the vehicle that included a box that can interrupt my starter if the note was not paid on time.

Here's an article about how one person was able to locate the tracker, remove it, and still be able to start his car.

How to Remove a GPS Disabler From a Vehicle. : 6 Steps - Instructables

If you aren't a fan of auto electric work you can maybe find a friendly mechanic who you can pay to do it for you.

At this time, the box has completely stopped working so my car will not start. It has been several weeks, and the company is contacting me about my payment,

Well, you still need to keep your payments up to date or lose the car and then you won't have to worry about the GPS tracker.

Back