Got ticket for not indicating lane switch. System shows different violation (typo). Dismissal?

B

B-S-O-85

Jurisdiction
Illinois
Hello!

I recently got pulled over by the county sheriff. He gave me a ticket for not using my signal for switching to the left lane, even though he admitted I used it to get back to center (and I'm 100% sure I used it before as well).
He was frustrated he couldn't get me for speeding because his radar was off at the time (I guess I shouldn't use this in my defense in court, correct?).
The violation he cited me for was 11-804.
When logging in online to look for my ticket, the violation was different: 11-801 "Improper turn at intersection".
I decided to plead not guilty, since, first, I am 100% sure I used my signal, and second, the violation in the system is wrong.
What are my chances? Does the court work based of what the system says or the hand written ticket of the officer? Should I bring the hand written ticket to court as proof?

Thanks so much!

You're way off - the officer doesn't need radar to write you a speeding ticket. Your imagination is getting the better of you.

Well, this is not what I made up, this is what the officer told me when he pulled me over.

I was about to pay the ticket online, but, as said above, it was not showing the violation I supposedly (as said, I believe I did use the signal because I always do, but that's a different thing) did, but something totally different. Thus, why I opted to plead not guilty.

So the court really has the hand written notes and no print out of their online system? Well, we'll see what happens, I can't change anything right now anyways.

(By the way, this is my first violation, I'm originally from Germany, not that it matters, but the systems are obviously working totally different than here.)

Last edited:
So the court really has the hand written notes and no print out of their online system? Well, we'll see what happens, I can't change anything right now anyways.

(By the way, this is my first violation, I'm originally from Germany, not that it matters, but the systems are obviously working totally different than here.)

Pleading not guilty in the populous counties and cities of Illinois will very often motivate the prosecutor to offer you a deal, or at least discuss some options with you to avoid taking the matter to trial.

You can investigate if traffic school is permitted in your case, or serif you can take a DEFERRED ADJUDICATION PLEA.

A DAP places you on unsupervised probation usually for 45-90 days, during which time you if you don't receive another citation, the court simply dismisses the citation. You receive no record of conviction, the state, city, and county get a piece of the money you're charged.

Everyone walks away happy, especially the citizen.

Traffic school, if allowed, is always a sure fire winner for anyone that has received a traffic citation.

Here's one such example of many online traffic schools in your state:

Northwestern University Traffic Safety School - Online 4-Hour Driver Safety Course

I would have had the option of traffic school, if I would have plead guilty and paid the fine.
But, because of all of the above (used signal, didn't turn, whichever they choose to go along with), I plead not guilty. Paying $167 for something I didn't do. No.
If I would have gotten the ticket for speeding, different story. Giving me a ticket for just anything because he can't get me for speeding (for whatever reason, he was the one saying his radar was off) is not right.

Pleading not guilty in the populous counties and cities of Illinois will very often motivate the prosecutor to offer you a deal, or at least discuss some options with you to avoid taking the matter to trial.

You can investigate if traffic school is permitted in your case, or serif you can take a DEFERRED ADJUDICATION PLEA.

A DAP places you on unsupervised probation usually for 45-90 days, during which time you if you don't receive another citation, the court simply dismisses the citation. You receive no record of conviction, the state, city, and county get a piece of the money you're charged.

Everyone walks away happy, especially the citizen.

Thanks! I will investigate further.
Does it make sense to have an attorney with me or would that be too much for a citation like this?

Thanks again!

Well, this is not what I made up, this is what the officer told me when he pulled me over.

I was about to pay the ticket online, but, as said above, it was not showing the violation I supposedly (as said, I believe I did use the signal because I always do, but that's a different thing) did, but something totally different. Thus, why I opted to plead not guilty.

Boy are you correct there. In Germany you can get 5 tickets before you even know about the 1st one. I can remember blasting down the Autobahn in Germany back when i was 18. A week later i was called into the commanders office. It seems while driving i was issued TWO TICKETS for speeding. I didn't get pulled over..... What????? They had camera's set up that snapped a picture of the license plate and vehicle. YIKES...... Just glad my command yelled at me and nothing else.

Thanks! I will investigate further.
Does it make sense to have an attorney with me or would that be too much for a citation like this?

Thanks again!

You could see if the car was equipped with video.... If so you can request a copy of the video. It will show if the blinker was on or off.

Boy are you correct there. In Germany you can get 5 tickets before you even know about the 1st one. I can remember blasting down the Autobahn in Germany back when i was 18. A week later i was called into the commanders office. It seems while driving i was issued TWO TICKETS for speeding. I didn't get pulled over..... What????? They had camera's set up that snapped a picture of the license plate and vehicle. YIKES...... Just glad my command yelled at me and nothing else.

Personally, I like not getting pulled over and just the ticket with a nice picture :D (and I prefer the German prices, but that's a whole different matter)

In regards to the video: The story is, he said I allegedly didn't use the blinker when moving over to the left lane for passing, but I did use it when going back to center.
It was an unmarked Ford explorer, do they have cameras in the back? I thought only dash cams? His "story" is just so convenient, because if he has a dash cam, then it would show me using my signal when coming back to center, just like he said, but there would be no recording of when he claims that I didn't use the blinker (when I was 2 cars behind him). I don't know if he was paying attention to me at that time, even though I don't believe so, but even if he did, maybe he just missed the 3x lane switch blinker. In any way it's pretty much his word against mine. So we'll see if he shows up and then what happens, maybe I can get a deal I can live with.

I recently got pulled over by the county sheriff.

Really? THE county sheriff was out there writing movers? Never heard of this.

...even though he admitted I used it to get back to center...

People often signal lane changes after failing to signal one or more. What's your point?

The violation he cited me for was 11-804.
When logging in online to look for my ticket, the violation was different: 11-801

Okay, so it was input incorrectly. That does not change the charge.

Should I bring the hand written ticket to court as proof?

Proof of what? That the "sheriff" wrote you for the correct section?

Back