Got screwed on a used car deal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

verso

I bought a used car (straight cash - $4500) from a new car lot (someone had traded it in) about 2 weeks ago. The deal was up front "As Is," no warranty. The test drive was great, ran perfectly. I took it to a mechanic for a check - for a '91, the mechanic was surprised at it's "great condition."

1 week (and ~100 miles later), it started pouring oil (not dripping - pouring... like a quart every half-mile or so). $600 worth of repairs (blown crank/cam oil seal(s)). The dealer graciously picked up $400 of the bill.

I got the car back yesterday.

Today I drove it about 25 miles, and the engine suddenly began emitting a nasty grinding noise. I happened to be driving past an Alton's Tires mechanic shop, so I pulled in. I had someone come out and listen. He said: "Woah, that's toast. That engine is shot."

In summary - I bought a used car AS IS (no warranty) from a reputable dealer, and it's completely shot within 120 miles, in about 2 weeks, the final blow coming within 25 miles of BEING IN THE DEALER'S SHOP.

IF the dealer does not give me a full refund, what recourse do I have, if any? Could I get in trouble for threatening to trash their name if being nice doesn't work? What other ways are there to twist a reputable dealer's arm?

Thanks,

- AR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back