Got pulled over at DOT stop and had suspended license

Richie o

I got pulled over at a Dot check n was informed i had a suspended license, i went that day and got a restricted license but went to court and was told to get a lawyer. Is this serious?

It's not murder, but its not a parking ticket, either.

Ok what is it? I fixed the problem and now have a restricted lisence. So whats going to happen now?

I suspect they will allow you to continue to drive and earn money on your restricted license, but will want more money and you'll end up on unsupervised probation for 90 to 180 days, give or take!!!

Now that you have a lawyer, you should confine your discussion of this matter such that you speak only to your lawyer about this matter.

Wth? Unsupervised probation? I haven't gotten any tickets etc in like 10 yrs. This is my first time messing up. What is that? And i dont have a lawyer yet. My gf got a ticket for the same thing once just not at a dot stop and she got it dropped n she NEVER had one to begin with

You might want to get/discuss your situation with a traffic law attorney - he/she should be able to get you the best outcome possible & answer any questions you might have.

Wth? Unsupervised probation? I haven't gotten any tickets etc in like 10 yrs. This is my first time messing up. What is that? And i dont have a lawyer yet. My gf got a ticket for the same thing once just not at a dot stop and she got it dropped n she NEVER had one to begin with

How can I explain why they do what the do, or demand what they demand from people?
I'm not them, I'm just another dude on the internet.
You remain FREE to ask THEM.
I can only report what I've seen THEM do to the people they catch.
THEY treat those with CDL licenses more harshly when they catch them because they are the LAW.
THEY have the power and we don't.
My advice to all, don't mess with them, don't break their laws, then they will stay out of your life.

Dont have a cdl, just regular. I drive a service truck. I change 18 wheeler tires when they blow on the side of the road

That's even better for you.
They'll demand some money, usually around $500, maybe a period of probation (behave and this goes away).
You need to understand why you were suspended.
If you fix that, this will all fade away.
Ask about DEFERRED ADJUDICATION.
If its available, investigate and take it.
Unlike criminal charges, successfully getting through DEFERRED ADJUDUCATION does wipe the slate clean.
It'll also keep your insurance rates low.
Otherwise, traffic school has been known to help many drivers.

I forgot to turn in plates, i returned them n got my restricted lisence. Did it that same day. Whats a deffered adjudication

It may go by another name in your state, but is essentially the court deferring to rule on your plea for 30 days, 60 days, or 90 days. You pay the court a fee/fine, you let time pass without getting another MOVING VIOLATION, the court dismisses the charge, your record is clean as a whistle.

If you're in New York City and they told you to retain an attorney, you're probably best off doing so. Just from my experience, unless you really know what you are doing the court will probably want to deal with your attorney (and they typically get better results and your case taken more seriously in many places around the NYC area, especially regarding traffic tickets.)

I'll comment more later as I have to run and will point you to a deferred adjudication FAQ we have here.

Here is a link you might want to read re deferred adjudication for informational/educational purposes.
edit -
I'm sorry - I tried posting 2 different links here but after posting could not bring either up.

PS - You can do a google search on deferred adjudication & find information on this topic.

Back