Got Hired. Still sitting at home...

wcan

Jurisdiction
Maryland
Hi Everyone,

Hope you're well. I was hired for a contract position with the federal government back in January. One day after accepting the offer, I received an email with a bunch of paperwork that I needed to fill out to get the onboarding process started. In the email, it stated that I cannot start working until the onboarding process is complete. Ok fine. I submitted all my paperwork same day and took my drug test the very next day. I went ahead and submitted my 2 week notice to my employer and last day was January 20th.

I still haven't started my new job. And the department head (in the govt) stated that he does not want me to start until I have received an official government badge and my paperwork in complete. I've been sitting at home since January and I feel like I'm getting the run around from my contracting company. I feel they are not telling me the truth regarding the hold up. The recruiter is telling me its the security office and they are backlogged because of the hiring freeze. The individual that interviewed me told me that my paperwork has gone through phase 1 and is now in phase 2 sitting in some office on someones desk. Every week I get emails from the recruiter with very vague updates. My last email I stated that I have no income, no medical insurance and have now been forced to use emergency funds to maintain until the job comes through. He sends me the typical "I understand. We are trying to close the loop. Have patience etc"....the hell?

So here are my questions:

1) My contracting company and current employees are privy to the environment. The individuals that interviewed me should have given me some type of heads up regarding the tedious onboarding process so that I could have at least stayed at my previous employer until everything is complete. Its just not logical to think you're going to be home for 2 months after accepting a job offer. You normally start 2 weeks later. I want to hold them accountable for their failure to communicate in detail the onboarding process.

2) If I decide to not wait anymore and back out, can I sue them for "wages lost". I want to recoupe the money I've spent paying mortgage etc from my emergency funds. If I stayed at my previous employer I could have continued to receive a check. Because of their failure to give me a heads up regarding the onboarding process, they have caused me unnecessary financial loss.

I have emails from different individuals specifically telling me about the lengthy onboarding process AFTER THE FACT. This is 2-3 weeks after I left my employer.

Do I have any type of case?

None at all. No one told you to give your notice before you had a firm start date with the new job. You did that all on your own.

Agree with cbg. Unless you have a written binding employment contract guaranteeing a specific start date etc., you have no case.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should have used better emotional intelligence. I was ready to leave my previous employer. Should have taken a deep breathe and asked questions regarding start date etc....

I've started to look for another position. One of 2 things will happen here. Either this job will finally come through in the couple weeks or I'm going to find something else

Kind of sucks. The salary is outstanding. Way above market. Eh, guess everything happens for a reason. Maybe something even better out there

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your input

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should have used better emotional intelligence. I was ready to leave my previous employer. Should have taken a deep breathe and asked questions regarding start date etc....

I've started to look for another position. One of 2 things will happen here. Either this job will finally come through in the couple weeks or I'm going to find something else

Kind of sucks. The salary is outstanding. Way above market. Eh, guess everything happens for a reason. Maybe something even better out there

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your input

The grass that looks greener across your fence, it has to be mowed, too!!!

Welcome to employment with the federal government. What you are experiencing is sadly not unusual. Your options are to continue with the process, or seek employment elsewhere.

Hi Everyone,

Hope you're well. I was hired for a contract position with the federal government back in January. One day after accepting the offer, I received an email with a bunch of paperwork that I needed to fill out to get the onboarding process started. In the email, it stated that I cannot start working until the onboarding process is complete. Ok fine. I submitted all my paperwork same day and took my drug test the very next day. I went ahead and submitted my 2 week notice to my employer and last day was January 20th.

I still haven't started my new job. And the department head (in the govt) stated that he does not want me to start until I have received an official government badge and my paperwork in complete. I've been sitting at home since January and I feel like I'm getting the run around from my contracting company. I feel they are not telling me the truth regarding the hold up. The recruiter is telling me its the security office and they are backlogged because of the hiring freeze. The individual that interviewed me told me that my paperwork has gone through phase 1 and is now in phase 2 sitting in some office on someones desk. Every week I get emails from the recruiter with very vague updates. My last email I stated that I have no income, no medical insurance and have now been forced to use emergency funds to maintain until the job comes through. He sends me the typical "I understand. We are trying to close the loop. Have patience etc"....the hell?

So here are my questions:

1) My contracting company and current employees are privy to the environment. The individuals that interviewed me should have given me some type of heads up regarding the tedious onboarding process so that I could have at least stayed at my previous employer until everything is complete. Its just not logical to think you're going to be home for 2 months after accepting a job offer. You normally start 2 weeks later. I want to hold them accountable for their failure to communicate in detail the onboarding process.

2) If I decide to not wait anymore and back out, can I sue them for "wages lost". I want to recoupe the money I've spent paying mortgage etc from my emergency funds. If I stayed at my previous employer I could have continued to receive a check. Because of their failure to give me a heads up regarding the onboarding process, they have caused me unnecessary financial loss.

I have emails from different individuals specifically telling me about the lengthy onboarding process AFTER THE FACT. This is 2-3 weeks after I left my employer.

Do I have any type of case?

Why didn't you ask if there was any type of training or security checks you had to do before you started work? Do you not realize that about federal work? You should have kept your job as long as you could until they said when you would start.

Yes there likely is a backlog in the security office because of the hiring freeze. Do you realize how many investigations come through those offices?

I'm military and when I went to my second duty station I sat at home for a month until I could start work because I had to get a polygraph and accesses cleared before I could go in the building. Lucky for me I'm military I got paid still.

It's on you to get all the information about your job. Not on them. You're an adult. It's your life and your responsibility.

Back