Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Got caught shoplifting. No police involvement or civil demand

Allisonhansen

Jurisdiction
Nevada
Hello everybody I have kind of a weird story about shoplifting and I'm very confused on everything. I'm 19 years old and got shoplifting two makeup pallets. The total ended up being $58. I left the store and immediately someone who worked there came after me and told me to come to the back with him. I did and they took my drivers license, made copies of it and made me sign a paper that says I am banned from any premises in Las Vegas Nevada and if I am caught trespassing they will call the cops on me. Nothing was ever said about a civil demand and the police were not called. They also took my picture and phone number. I started to cry as I signed the paper realizing what a horrible mistake I had made. The guy saw me crying and told me this. "I know you made a mistake so I'm going to give you a break. I'm going to fill out these papers to show my manager I'm doing my job but as soon as you leave I'm going to rip up the papers and I will call you afterwards." After I left the guy called me and let me know that he ripped up my papers and that I can go to the stores but if I go back to that specific store I need to change my appearance so I don't get recognized. This all happened yesterday. Today the guy texted me and told me that he got written up for ripping up the papers. I felt bad and told asked him if the papers were completely destroyed or is there any way he can recover them and give them to his manager so he doesn't get in trouble. He said that they were completely destroyed and no way of recovering them. I'm honestly so confused by all of this. I'm nervous to go back to any of there locations. I'm also very nervous of getting a civil demand in the mail. Is any of this possible? What should I do?

I am a Retail Theft Consultant and answer questions like yours daily. We cannot say if you will or will not get Civil Demand. Just wait for letter from Law Firm if no letter comes then no. If a letter does come then you can act or not act on it

shoplifting two makeup pallets. The total ended up being $58.

I left the store and immediately someone who worked there came after me and told me to come to the back with him.

I did and they took my drivers license, made copies of it and made me sign a paper that says I am banned from any premises in Las Vegas Nevada

if I am caught trespassing they will call the cops on me.

Nothing was ever said about a civil demand and the police were not called. They also took my picture and phone number. I started to cry as I signed the paper realizing what a horrible mistake I had made. The guy saw me crying and told me this. "I know you made a mistake so I'm going to give you a break. I'm going to fill out these papers to show my manager I'm doing my job but as soon as you leave I'm going to rip up the papers and I will call you afterwards." After I left the guy called me and let me know that he ripped up my papers and that I can go to the stores but if I go back to that specific store I need to change my appearance so I don't get recognized.

This all happened yesterday. Today the guy texted me and told me that he got written up for ripping up the papers. I felt bad and told asked him if the papers were completely destroyed or is there any way he can recover them and give them to his manager so he doesn't get in trouble.

He said that they were completely destroyed and no way of recovering them. I'm honestly so confused by all of this. I'm nervous to go back to any of there locations. I'm also very nervous of getting a civil demand in the mail. Is any of this possible? What should I do?

A "demand letter" is simply someone or something DEMANDING you pay them $500, $100, or $1.00.

A demand letter has zero legal force, and you can ignore the demand, just as you would my demand for you to pay me $500,000.

Read what Nevada (and other) LICENSED attorneys have to say about the "demand letter scam":

Is this civil demand letter legitimate? Do I really have to pay again? - Lawyers.com

Matthew Ruff Explains What to Do With The "Civil Demand Letter" in a Shoplifting Case

I was caught stealing at walmart in las vegas n - Q&A - Avvo

I Am Charged with Retail Theft and I Received a Letter Demanding Payment From the Store's Lawyers. Do I Have to Pay?

Other opinions:

Civil Demand Letters, Retail Theft and Recovery

- DEMAND LETTERS AND CONSUMER PROTECTION: EXAMINING DECEPTIVE PRACTICES BY PATENT ASSERTION ENTITIES

Let's discuss Nevada "Shoplifting" Laws -specifically PETTY LARCENY- ACCUSED of shoplifting less than $650 worth of property (NRS 204.240) before we continue.

If someone is arrested/stopped/accused of shoplifting less than $650 worth of property, then he/she might face criminal charges for the Nevada misdemeanor of petty larceny. "Petit larceny" (petty theft) law in Las Vegas Nevada (NRS 205.240) (NRS 205.240)

You, on the other hand, were NOT arrested.

If you're smart, you should IMMEDIATELY cease all contact with the person alleged to be a security officer.

It appears to me that the person is a creep and might attempt to GUILT you into dating him, which would mean he/she/it will endeavor to have sexual relations with you.

Also, be smart, stay out of the store.

You got a slap on the wrist, so use that as a teachable moment, and instruct yourself to behave.

He/she/it might be LYING to you to get in deeper poo poo.

There are thousands of merchants selling junk all over this nation, staying out of one for three or four years isn't going to kill you.

It could be several weeks before a demand letter comes. Use the time to decide what you will do if you receive one. It will probably come.

If Civil Demand was that paperwork I would guess no. However if its done electronically or they somehow recover or repair paperwork then yes expect it.

Back