Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Got caught refilling my drink

Wendy8511

Jurisdiction
Alaska
Hello, so I was taken into custody about 3 days ago for refilling my Taco Bell cup I had purchased a week ago at the PX. I'm ordered to go to court in 4 months. I work for the government and use a CAC card. My question is would the court be able to take my CAC card away? Would I be banned from going on post? Im going through a divorce right now and if they take away my government job my life and my kids life would be over. I'm depending on my job to support my kids. I feel so very stupid for such a minor mistake over a stupid refill. I'm very scared! It was an honest mistake. I see tons of people do it but with my luck I get caught.

I am sure it was not the refill that was the problem, but that you made the purchase 3 days ago. Surely you know that you must make a new purchase every visit. Refilling 3 days later is theft.
Yes, the things you are concerned about can happen, but nobody can predict what will happen. This is petty enough you may come out of it ok.
I agree you should speak with a defense attorney for the the best results with this.

It would be best not to use acronyms that aren't commonly understood.

Im going through a divorce right now and if they take away my government job my life and my kids life would be over.

I'm not sure who "they" are, but your government employer will be constrained by the applicable civil service regulations. You didn't mention what level of government you work for, so it's not really possible to say much more than that.

I agree that you need to speak with a local attorney for advice.

Apparently it wasn't.

I must agree with you, sir.
It was an intentional act.
The OP admitted to seeing others do it, and deliberately brought her own cup purchased a week earlier to purloin soda.
By the way, defendant's explanation of events is precisely the reason defense attorneys admonish people to use their right to remain silent.

It would be best not to use acronyms that aren't commonly understood.

I'm not sure who "they" are, but your government employer will be constrained by the applicable civil service regulations. You didn't mention what level of government you work for, so it's not really possible to say much more than that.

I agree that you need to speak with a local attorney for advice.
They as in
Apparently it wasn't.
It was a mistake. Everyone makes mistakes. I came on here for advice not to get judged by someone hiding behind the computer.

It was a mistake.

I suggest you can serve yourself best by avoiding any further comments.

You should simply appear in court as directed, plead not guilty, ask the magistrate if you qualify for public defender, and refuse to discuss any aspect of this charge.

You, as do all, criminal defendants have a constitutional right to stand mute and not discuss the case.

You are only required to give your name, address, date of birth, and other related particulars.

The government is required to prove your guilt, you are not required to prove your innocence.

Your best defense is our constitution and all the rights it provides to all of us.

My friend and esteemed brother in Christ and at the Bar Professor James Duane breaks it all down for you:

It was a mistake.

Yes, it was, but not an HONEST mistake as you first said.

In the future don't worry about what everyone else is doing, only worry about what YOU do.

Also, I have NO say on whether your government job gets taken away.

Listen to Army Judge - shut up and only speak to your attorney.

In the future it would also be wise not to post your picture for the world to see.

I am a Retail Theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. EVERYTHING you fear is possible! You are best served talking to a Lawyer and discuss plea options that MIGHT reduce possible consequences.

A civilian judge can't take your CAC card (not even sure a military one can). A CAC card doesn't imply any trust, it's just an ID. Now given your criminal activity if you have a security clearance, you may indeed be putting that and your continued employment in jeopardy. If you are in the military, you are also flaunting with (perhaps dishonorable) discharge. Once your employment or post access is terminated, then they'll come for your CAC card.

You need an attorney.

Hello, so I was taken into custody about 3 days ago for refilling my Taco Bell cup I had purchased a week ago at the PX. I'm ordered to go to court in 4 months. I work for the government and use a CAC card. My question is would the court be able to take my CAC card away? Would I be banned from going on post? Im going through a divorce right now and if they take away my government job my life and my kids life would be over. I'm depending on my job to support my kids. I feel so very stupid for such a minor mistake over a stupid refill. I'm very scared! It was an honest mistake. I see tons of people do it but with my luck I get caught.

Anything could happen that no one on here could predict but it is possible to be banned from post for shoplifting in the PX.

I have never heard of anyone arrested at the PX for refilling a cup they purchased. There's likely more to this story but you're best bet is to find an attorney and only talk to him or her. I'd also not have my photo or anything that identifies me on a public forum...it could affect your case.

You see tons of people stealing at the PX and don't say anything? Really?

I have never heard of anyone arrested at the PX for refilling a cup they purchased.

She was refilling the cup three days after purchasing it. It is common knowledge that refills are only allowed during the current visit at the time of purchase. This was theft. Extremely petty and silly theft.

Taco Bell doesn't allow you to use cups from previous visits. Nor can you use a cup you got from the drive thru and refill it inside. McDonald's used to allow you to return with a cup from a prior visit but they've ended that policy.

Of course, the individual franchisees are free to have their own rules. Hamburgers? Nope, we got blankets and spaghetti. And we are not affiliated with that clown.

She was refilling the cup three days after purchasing it. It is common knowledge that refills are only allowed during the current visit at the time of purchase. This was theft. Extremely petty and silly theft.

I still haven't heard of that happening at any PX at any base I've been stationed so I'm wondering if more didn't happen. That's it. Yes I know you can't refill a cup 3 days after purchasing. But it seems odd that a MP would know that the lady hadn't purchased it that day hence stating did something else happen.

I suspect it is more likely an employee noticed and reported it, and then once caught the temptation to explain (and confess) could not be resisted.
Yes, odd that it happened at all, but if it was habitual I can see it getting to this point.

Back