Got away with speeding, but ticketed for unclear plates.. If I fight in court...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallyy

The other day I was pulled over by the NJ State Police for traveling 86 in a 65. Long story short, I was polite and did everything in the book to be respectful to him and was let off without a speeding ticket. However, he did ticket me for unclear plates because I have a metal license plate frame on my plates. The frame is 0.5" thick and does NOT in any way hinder the reading of "NEW JERSEY", "GARDEN STATE", or my plate tag. My tag is completely visible with zero obstructions covering it. He only hit me with this ticket ($54 fine, 0-point violation) probably because my driving record is clean and I've never had any traffic violations otherwise..

I didn't complain in front of the cop (obviously, since I got off paying a $500 fine and a 4-point violation) but the unclear plates violation is bogus.

NJ Statute 39:3-33:
No person shall drive a motor vehicle which has a license plate frame or identification marker holder that conceals or otherwise obscures any part of any marking imprinted upon the vehicle's registration plate or any part of any insert which the director, as hereinafter provided, issues to be inserted in and attached to that registration plate or marker.

This is not the case here, as my plate was unobstructed. If I fight this in court could the judge think I'm being greedy and slap me back with the speeding fine? I don't want to sound greedy because I know $54 isn't much compared to 4 points and $500, but the cop could have ticketed me for speeding and didn't. The ticket only mentions unclear plates.. just afraid of the judge asking, "Why were you pulled over? How fast were you going?"

Also, the cop did make a little note in a random box that says "(86)65" so I'm assuming it's for his reference if I try to fight it.. so he can tell the judge I was doing 86 in a 65.

Any help is welcome.

Thanks!

If you go to court for this the judge should have no knowledge of your speeding since you were not cited for it. It is completely irrelevant to the license plate citation.

Are you kidding?? Really. Are you kidding?

No, he isn't kidding.

Neither am I.

The judge won't ask you much of anything.

You aren't required to testify.

The police officer will do most of the talking, as he's the state's star witness.

The state persecutor will direct the officer's testimony.

You will get to cross examine him.

That's when you present your picture evidence, if it supports your case.

If you believe the citation you received for the obstructed license plate doesn't apply, plead not guilty.

Take a few pictures of the plate and be ready to appear again to plead your case.

Appear at the appointed day and time, bring your pictures and be ready to argue your case.

Bring a copy of the relevant statute and be prepared to show your plate was not obscured by using oral argument and the pictures.

You were NOT issued a speeding citation, so that is no longer relevant and will not be mentioned.

If what you say is true, you'll most likely beat the obstructed plate wrap, too!!!!

Last, but not least, be advised that you most likely won't dispose of this in one visit.

You can probably mail in your not guilty plea.

But, you'll get a court date for the trial.

Be prepared to spend the better part of day waiting your turn to try your case.

Nevertheless, even if you go first, you'll probably waste an hour or so in court, plus your travel time.

Unless you make minimum wages, the time off you'll have to take to participate in this nonsense is gonna be worth much more than $50!!!!!

Last edited:
Consider yourself lucky and just pay the ticket. I wouldn't want to waste a vacation day or time off for something like this.

I will take your situation instead of being busted for speeding anytime.

I was issued 2 tickets for unclear plates. My front plate was missing and I had a frame around the back one. When the cop pulled e over he issued me TWO tickets, both tickets were the same 39.3-33 unclear plates. It says "plates" plural so how can I get 2 tickets at the same time? Also the cop wrote his ID number but the signed with a "X" type line no signature. Also there were 2 cops in the car each one wrote me unclear plates ticket....

It's common in NJ for the cops to ticket you for unclear plates or various other BS charges that contain no points, but are technically true. It's a way for them to give you a break without them getting in trouble for not giving out enough tickets.

i realy got a unclear plate there was some greese on one of the numbers should i fight it will that hurt my insurance

I was cited for the same thing. I recently moved to Jersey from Florida, where this is not a law. I am still in my 60 day window, so I still have my FL tags, Reg, and DL, can I still be cited?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back