Got a ticket in IL regarding Scott Law. Need guidance.

M

MohitMishra

Jurisdiction
Illinois
I was coming in rightmost lane and saw a police vehicle along with a truck stopped on the shoulder. There was no person out from truck or the cop car, else I would have definitly reduced speed or probably moved to middle lane. After some time the cop pulled me over and gave a mandatory court appearance as I did not comply with Scott's Move over law. I am thinking to plead guilty with lesser charges(lenient fine with court supervision may be). Would it be a good idea ? Or I should be needing a lawer. I do not mind paying 250-300$ if I plead guilty, but do not want licence suspension(which as per the law happens only if I hit the property or indiviaual, which I did not). I do not want my fines really high as it is a petty(business) offence with $100-$10000. I do not want it to appear in my criminal history(driving history apperance is fine), which I believe it will not as it is a business offence. Would it be a good idea to plea guilty myself ?

Anytime you're charged with ANYTHING, plead NOT guilty, request a court date, and then HIRE a lawyer, or ask the court if you qualify for a public defender.

I was coming in rightmost lane and saw a police vehicle along with a truck stopped on the shoulder. There was no person out from truck or the cop car, else I would have definitly reduced speed or probably moved to middle lane. After some time the cop pulled me over and gave a mandatory court appearance as I did not comply with Scott's Move over law. I am thinking to plead guilty with lesser charges(lenient fine with court supervision may be). Would it be a good idea ? Or I should be needing a lawer. I do not mind paying 250-300$ if I plead guilty, but do not want licence suspension(which as per the law happens only if I hit the property or indiviaual, which I did not). I do not want my fines really high as it is a petty(business) offence with $100-$10000. I do not want it to appear in my criminal history(driving history apperance is fine), which I believe it will not as it is a business offence. Would it be a good idea to plea guilty myself ?

If the law is to move over when emergency vehicles are stopped on the road, you move over. It doesn't matter if it appears that there is someone outside the car or not. You are supposed to move over.

Back