Criminal Trials, Hearings Got a subpoena as a witness and didn't show up

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneillsg7

Hi,

I received a subpoena to testify as a witness in the Douglas County court. I was at work when someone assaulted my co-worker there, although I really didn't see very much and I was not the only witness. Long story short I moved 120mi away and completely forgot about the court date. Got a call from my mom and said that someone from the DA's office called and left a message saying that I didn't show up for court. Didn't find out till late tonight (and I have no idea why they didn't call my cell no. instead of my old home no.).

Anyway, I'm going to call first thing in the morning to try and rectify the situation... But I'm a bit worried and don't know what to expect. I've moved to go to school and start a new life away from home, I live with my girlfriend and really I don't have any money and I'm looking for a job. Is contempt of court for something like this serious? Are they going to tell me to turn myself in or will I have to go to court over this? Am I going to be thrown in jail?

Thanks for any words of encouragement.

You probably have nothing to worry about if you were not a key witness. Don't stress.
Call the court and find out if a warrant was issued when you failed to show. Provide your new contact info in case they need you for additional hearings.
They probably just proceeded without you, and there is probably no consequence... but check and be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back