Got a promotion to white collar. Boss never changed my role on record

K

Kcee

Jurisdiction
Florida
I was promoted from Material Handler 4 to Export Control Officer 2 yrs. ago. 6 months ago I was asked to take on duel roles. ECO and Supervisor. I got pay raises but I should have been given salary. My employer said he kept me hourly because I would lose money because of the overtime I put in. My performance reviews for ECO and Supervisor are out standing. I recently discovered that my manager never changed my role at all. on record I am still a material handler 4. I went to HR but all I got was a phony title. Nothing changed on record. There is no official work history of the 2 yrs. I spent training for ECO nor the 2yrs. I have been doing the job. If I was to look for another job and they called my place of employment to verify the position I held I am sh*t out of luck. I feel like I was robbed of my career. Is there any legal action I can take?

Not unless you have a bona fide, legally enforceable contract to the new title. It is always legal to pay someone hourly - it is not always legal to pay them on a salaried basis.

It sounds as if you were paid for all work performed.
I don't think you have anywhere to go with this complaint. I'd suggest you keep things low key if you are upset. Your cooperation and experience the last couple years may make you very qualified when a promotion opportunity does come along.

Not unless you have a bona fide, legally enforceable contract to the new title. It is always legal to pay someone hourly - it is not always legal to pay them on a salaried basis.
I have the performance reviews that state I have taken on all the responsibilities of ECO and my manager commenting I have done a stellar job. I have emails announcing to the company I have taken the position of ECO. I have the certificates of competition on company required courses needed to be an ECO. I have the request my manager signed and sent to corporate to have me listed as the ECO for my branch and my predecessor to be removed. The 2 gentlemen that had the role prior to me had the nice salary package with all the benefits that go along. I also have my 2 male counterparts as supervisors have cubicles, the 2 male material handler 3's have cubicles. I was taken out of my front office cubicle and made to sit in the middle of the warehouse at 3ft desk. I was also denied vacation because I am the only at my branch who can do import/export.

Ethics are different from legalities. It's not even clear from what you've shared that this is an ethics situation. As far as salary, the federal government has made recent changes which could be why you weren't put on salary.

Sometimes things do not seem fair but the problem is unfair does not always equal illegal.

Ethics are different from legalities. It's not even clear from what you've shared that this is an ethics situation. As far as salary, the federal government has made recent changes which could be why you weren't put on salary.
It would have been difficult to explain it all. My manager has show many unethical sides to him. He did what he did intentionally. For now all I can do is hope karma catches up to him. I thank you all for the advice you have given.

Back