Got 39:4-97 with 2 points and 39:3-33 from police in SpringField,NJ

M

MrChiltu

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
39:3-33 : Improper display / Unclear plates
39:4-97 : Careless driving likely to endager person or

Last week I was driving on Rt-22 East and had just left a supermarket and then got onto the driving lanes. Within few seconds (less than a minute), I put the indicator to turn left to another shop (to the extreme left of my driving which 22 East has) and hence took left turn. There were no vehicles behind me which I checked before making turn.

A police vehicle came behind me and seeing police I stopped vehicle in the parking lot of the shop I intended to go.

The officer gave me 39:4-97 explaining that I made turn in short notice and changing lanes fastly and also alleged that I entered private property (but I was going to shop there and I told this to police). I got $140 (fines doubled in safety corridor of rt 22) with 2 points. He said he will not give ticket for entering private property to make u-turns (he thought I used the private property to make u-turn which I didn't intend and I told him the same).

Second ticket I got was because "back name plate" was confusing to him while they were checking my vehicle as I had kept NJ DMV plates behind the backseat (which was visible) along with dealer issued temporary plate for new vehicle. It was my my mistake for not removing the temporary plate in the back (and I had removed in the front). I got $54 ticket for this and no points.

First time ticket and I have 5 years of driving history with no tickets or offences
I have called the court and told them I am not pleading guilty. Court date is set in mid of Sep 2016.
Questions:

a) If I goto court, what are my options considering I got already $140 ticket (safety corridor) and what will be plea deal cases and how to approach?

b) How to approach for namePlate ticket? What are the chances of here? Should I pay this off and keep other one? and fight both?

c) At the minimum how much am I looking to spend here (at the court) on day 1 of court visit. I want to finish on day 1 itself and I guess I have to go for plea bargain as I will not be in station in Oct /Nov 2016.

Thanks a lot.

a) If I goto court, what are my options considering I got already $140 ticket (safety corridor) and what will be plea deal cases and how to approach?

b) How to approach for namePlate ticket? What are the chances of here? Should I pay this off and keep other one? and fight both?

c) At the minimum how much am I looking to spend here (at the court) on day 1 of court visit. I want to finish on day 1 itself and I guess I have to go for plea bargain as I will not be in station in Oct /Nov 2016.

Fewer than 5-10% of those who appear in traffic court are successful.

You go, you say your piece, the court decides.

How much?

That, I'm afraid you must ask the court.

Fewer than 5-10% of those who appear in traffic court are successful.

You go, you say your piece, the court decides.

How much?

That, I'm afraid you must ask the court.

----------------
I would like to know how to make case presentable such that I get away with points or atleast try to get plea bargain.

Anyone can suggest? or anyone who has faced something similar in NJ ?

Appreciate your inputs.

----------------
I would like to know how to make case presentable such that I get away with points or atleast try to get plea bargain.

It doesn't seem to me as if you stand much of a chance on your own. You need an attorney if you want to make a fight of it.

You don't explain yourself very well. I have no idea what a "back name plate" is and my guess is you will be wasting your time and the court's if you intend to argue this yourself. If you had more than one license plate visible from the rear of your car you are clearly guilty of that charge.

Back