Google is Requiring Me to do Some Necroposting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Wechsler

Administrator
Staff member
So why will I start to answer threads that have no replies and which may be quite old?

Unfortunately Google's algorithm keeps changing quickly and is now rumored to be punishing forums that have "thin" content on certain URLs, such as threads. So if a thread/subject has a short question but no replies, Google may devalue a site as a result of this issue.

Does this seem to be a problem with many large sites that have forums like ours? You bet. While I could technically delete all those questions it really doesn't make much sense to deal with this issue in that manner. As such, I'll just do what has to be done in order to make sure we're as useful as possible and that we've got the ship in as good shape as Google can expect. As of right now, they certainly are in control of much of the web and when in Rome...

Anyways, I figured I'd let you know why I will be filling in some of the gaps here.

If you can segregate some of those into an area we can easily access without searching, we can jump into the game also.

Very kind of you. Sure, if you would like, although it appears there are quite a few of them. Here's what I do:

Advanced search: http://www.thelaw.com/forums/search.php?search_type=1

Then I choose "Find Threads with:" -- "At Most" -- 0 Replies.

That brings up all the threads with no replies.

Many thanks for your assistance. I will do a search query to unlock all the remaining posts that have a 0 reply right now.

I have also hired someone to deal with the occasional doubleposting that occurs on some accounts. We should have that done by tomorrow or certainly no later than the next few days.

I've just made the change now. I don't think all of them (like announcements) require replies although making a good dent in them will surely make a huge difference! Many thanks. After we're done I'll also do my part to close the old threads going back several months and prior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back